The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default The New Wading Jacket!

Quite some time back I posted a thread asking for recommendations for a new jacket. I appreciate all of the response that came on the topic but when shopping I had trepidations. When I reached the 200 dollar price point I was ill impressed with some of the offerings. The 400 and up jackets seemed well made, rugged, and were the obvious choice but I could not escape the fact that the 200 dollar line seemed so cheesy. I felt I was being played.

In response to this I did what I always do, I kept using the old Filson, yep, slapped a fresh coat of wax on it and went fishing. Finally both draw strings had broken out of it, the sleeves were becoming thin at the wear points and had a few tears in them, not to mention the hems fraying all around. You could say it was getting bad. Rather than wax again for fall I went to the closet and pulled out a vintage Lewis Creek jacket that had not been used since having been refurbished by the company back in the 97 - 98 time span. Yes another old wax cotton jacket, I boxed up the Filson along with my Shelter Cloth strap vest by the same manufacturer and sent them back for re coating and in the case of the jacket, repairs and waterproofing.

One day I got a call from the fine folks at Filson. I was told that the re waterproofing of my vest pack would cost 50 dollars but that the jacket was (in their opinion) shot. I told the lady that I really liked it and thought it still worked pretty well. I told her that if they could just patch it up I would be happy for the effort. She told me that Filson did not want me to have a jacket that worked "pretty well" they wanted me to have a jacket that worked "really well" and that to that extent they were sending me a new jacket to replace the one I had sent for repair at no cost to me! I don't know when I bought either of those jackets. The Lewis Creek was first and when I sent it in for repair I bought the Filson to use while the other was away from home. I do know that these events did not occur in this century.

The end of the story is that I had bought a Redington jacket to see if it would keep me dry in the often rainy weather here but have only worn it one time. I kept wearing that old Filson & then the old Lewis Creek. I have a hard time getting used to new stuff I guess This past Monday was the big day, at the post office there was a package for me and inside was a Brand New Filson Wading jacket! Although some may eschew the wax cotton technology of the years gone by I just love those things and I had to share this tale of customer service that in my view goes way above and beyond anything I had ever expected.

Never hesitate to buy from the CC Filson Company, they stand behind their products like no other clothing company I have ever had experience with. I own many of their products and have always been happy with everything that I got from them.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-22-2011, 01:08 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: The New Wading Jacket!

Now that is some great CS. I'm sure they have heard of you at this point Ard and wanted to be affiliated with all your fishy know how.

As for the Redington jacket.....

I have one. I got the chance to really break it in a few weeks back. I was fishing on the Wilson river in the Oregon coast range and one of our well known down pours had set in. It was coming down in great bucket fulls. The jacket kept me mostly dry. It seemed to me though that the jacket absorbed a lot of water instead of shedding it. It was comfortable enough though, just a lot heavier. If i was going to fish in the rain all day on a regular basis, i would want a different jacket i think.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:06 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I do know that these events did not occur in this century.

Ard
I particularly like this line....more than 10 years old, prob 20 judging from your description and definitely past the statue of limitations on replacement - but still a brand spanking new jacket arrives

Sure is hard to be a company that stands by their products for that length of time.

Hope it works just as well as the old favourite

E

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-22-2011, 02:49 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

Very cool story.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies folks,

Vans, don't get me wrong a Filson will let some through on a really bad day but if I'm looking at the worst of weather I have one of their merino wool outfitter sweaters to put under it. Couple that with an Under Armor type long sleeve undershirt and you can be pretty comfortable. I haven't had anything ever that didn't seem wet after days of rain, nights in tents and then back in the jacket so I just keep on using what i use.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:37 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Congrats on the new Filson, Ard. That company is the best, and so is the clothing. I have a Mac cruiser that I absolutely love and couple vests, too. Then my dad sent my a pair of the waxed tin pants last spring, I haven't had much chance to wear them yet. I know it will take quite a while to just break them in a little let alone break them. I imagine the tin wading jacket is the same.

If you are not an "ounce shaver" extreme backpacker and don't mind a little extra weight on your shoulder good heavy wool cannot be beat. And I'm sure with that waxed jacket over it you stay plenty dry.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: Now that is customer service to the extreme! Filson really is a fine company to do business with and this is a great testament! I'm sure you will enjoy that new jacket for years to come!

Larry

Old 10-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Administrator

I've been wearing it since it arrived Larry and I had missed it because it's warmer than the Lewis Creek jacket. Warm will matter because we are leaving tomorrow morning for a few days on the middle Kenai. Water's down and silvers are still coming in so away we go.

My strap vest / pack came in the mail Friday and they did such a good job with it I thought they had sent a new one of them also. If you never have thought about one they make a great all day carryall for tackle, lunch, and rain gear and they look good doing it.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:35 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

I want to see some pictures of that jacket in action!
I have been a huge fan of filson gear for a while. Good to see you only have to purchase some things once. I am actually currently waiting on a strap vest. Wanted one since the start and finally found too good a deal on one to pass up. Good thread, thanks for sharing.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Administrator

I believe you'll like the strap vest I like mine and we are leaving in about an hour to fish for 2 days, you'll get pictures.

Ard