The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 07:12 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fishing with Jean-Paul in the Languedoc

I spent last weekend fishing with Jean-Paul (JP, jbbfly) on some of his home waters in the Languedoc region of Southern France. The Southern end of the region borders the Mediterranean Sea, but the Northern end works its way up into a mountain range know as the Massif Central; the headwaters for some very nice freestone streams.

I arrived via the TGV from Lyon late on Friday night; J-P met me at the station, we went to his house, had a quick nightcap and the next thing I knew, it was Saturday morning, and time to go fishing.

Thanks to the A-75, a superhighway that goes almost directly North, we were into good fishing waters in about an hour; after entering the Crevennes National Park, and half an hour after that arrived at a spot on the Trevezal River that was really nice. This is a native trout stream and in most of Europe, that means Brown Trout. Here are some pics of the Trevezal:

Click the image to open in full size.

Pocono trying to hook a fish:

J-P looking......:

...and then hooking and releasing one:

After lunch we moved upstream; and it got even nicer:

Pretty fast water and great surroundings (we only saw 5-6 other fishermen all day):

....and Pocono; no, I'm not inspecting my net, I'm releasing a nice little Brown:

That night, J-P's wife cooked us a gourmet meal, we reminisced about the day behind us and planned the next day's fishing; no trout on the agenda, tomorrow was fishing for Chubs and Dace, and perhaps Carp and a few other species. We both fished 5 wts.; J-P with a Quarrow which I came admire for its ability to throw tight loops into some pretty good winds. He also used a semi-automatic reel; a Cordel, which is the lightest and smoothest automatic that I've ever seen.

The river that we fished is called the Lergue. It's another freestone stream that cuts its way through garnet-colored hills. Here a pic of the river:

..,.and another:

Here's J-P landing a Chub:

..... and here he's got a nice Dace:

It was easy wading and very scenic, as the Lergue cuts through several small villages:

Here's J-P; negotiating around what I came to call in my mind "red monkey rock":

In between the fishing, we did take time to smell the flowers:

On the way back, we stopped at a small stream called the Margueritte and tossed some good flies, but didn't find any takers.

One quick shot of the old church in the center of J-P's home town, Montagnac; no fish in here, but a lot of history. We just don't have this kind of history in the US:

...and time for a quick pic at the end of the day on Sunday; just before I hopped back on the TGV for Paris (no, I don't fish in that shirt; at least not usually!):

I had a great time fishing with J-P in the Languedoc. It really opened my eyes to the fishing in that part of France. Jean-Paul and his wife, Tiana, were the perfect host and hostess and if they'll have me back - then I'm ready to go!

I'll ask J-P to add to this thread and to correct any inaccuracies that I may have generated during my weekend in the Languedoc.

It was a lot of fun!

Pocono
Old 06-25-2010, 08:40 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing with Jean-Paul in the Languedoc

That's excellent! Thanks for sharing the story and the photo's. Allan, I recall you had to drive through France due to the volcano eruption, and like MacArthur, promised that you'd return. Sounds like a great weekend.

BTW...You should wear that shirt while fishing. I admire the Charles Ritz school of fly fishing apparel, but don't go so far as to wear tweed. A nice shirt goes a long way, however.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Allan: Great fishing report and some really nice photos showing the water and area where JP lives. Thanks for sharing!

Larry
Old 06-26-2010, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great report Allan,you're very kindWe were not really lucky with the weather and I was rather annoyed for we couldn't catch many fish... but we'll take our revenge
Old 06-29-2010, 07:58 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Great report Allen...Looks like JP has some beautiful areas to fish in...

Dan
Old 06-29-2010, 08:24 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Great report. Thanks for showing us some of France's beautiful countryside and waterways. Just beautiful.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:12 AM

indymatt is on a distinguished road

Allan you are my hero, I read your report on Belize and that is what inspired me to take a day fishing down in Ascension Bay here soon. I will try to take tons of photos and post a report for you guys!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice!

I could say more but I think that does it.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Great post and pics. Glad you had a great time.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-05-2010, 09:08 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Great Post Allan
Thanks for sharing

Chris