The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 04:52 PM

gordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura about
Default Drying Rack for waders / boots .. homemade

Hi all,

Who has made a home brew version of a drying rack for waders / boots?

Your thoughts and ideas MUCHO appreciated ...

Best of tight lines to you,

Gordon in NC
Old 10-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Drying Rack for waders / boots .. homemade

Nothing fancy here Gordon,

I just have 2 small coat hooks beside the front door and we hang them there when returning home. Cold weather like this I go out and get them soon as I wake up so they warm up before we put them on. Yep, I've been driving around with waders on for years, when I lived in PA. I used to carry the rods on the rod rack and leave home ready to fish. Park, grab and go.......................

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-23-2011, 05:29 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Gordon.
A good question it has me thinking as everyone who does heaps of Fishing should have some type of drying set up both for Waders & Boots as there is nothing worse than frozen Boots.
I remember seeing one a friend made years ago for Boot Waders as he used to get his waders from where he worked,virtually all they consisted of were two cutouts to hold the Boots in a piece of 1/2 plywood about 12 inches wide with an eye bolt between where the Boots fitted.
He would attach a cord to the eye bolt & would hoist them up via a pulley then tie them off,he dried & stored them this way.
As for Stocking foot waders I've either hung them over a Railing or secured them with Two Clothes Pegs on a plastic covered Coat Hanger & hung them up until they dried.
As for Boots both Fishing or Hunting everyone I know just inverts then & leaves them where it's warm to dry.
I know when we go away,especially hunting we always carry a spare pair,some also have 2 pairs of Wading Boots.
Brian
Old 10-23-2011, 08:21 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Yep, I've been driving around with waders on for years, when I lived in PA. I used to carry the rods on the rod rack and leave home ready to fish. Park, grab and go.
LOL, that's what I do also, it's only a short ways to the river so I just find it easier to put them on and take them off in my chairs out front instead of the back of my truck. I've wondered what a cop might say if I got pulled over but they all know me anyway so...

edit to add; I just hang them upside down on some boot hooks that screw into the studs of my shed.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:42 PM

fredy is on a distinguished road

Check this out and the price is pretty good too.
I am thinking of getting one.

Peet Wader Dryer: Wading Accessories at L.L.Bean
Old 10-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If I was gonna make one, I'd start by figuring out what size pvc has an OD slightly larger than the nozzle of my/wife's blowdryer.

I'd make the base square, with capped uprights sticking up from the middle of two sides of the square via "T"s. I'd put a brace between the uprights, and put a "T" left open, to accept the blow dryer. Attaching one of those rubber things with the hose clamps at that point might help get a better seal.

You could make the thing up about 32" tall for a pair of hippers, or 6' tall for Shaq's waders if you wanted. (you could also make some short stubby uprights just for the boots at the bottom as well if you like)

Drill holes where you want the air to come out, and yer all set.

To clarify, I wouldn't recommend using any heat from the blow dryer, as it could damage your boots/waders.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.