The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2007, 02:42 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default is this a good setup for the price?

I have a 5/6 weight cheap 20 dollar martin combo but after reading up I seeI need a 8wt for the steelhead around here instead of this 5/6 rod.. so I was looking at a 8 wt rod for steelhead fishing. wondered if this would be a good combo? plus its on sale for 61 dollars. wondered if anyone tried this brand and what they think of it. I am not rich either so I don't really wanna spend over 100 bux if I don't have too. so will this catch steelhead or not? I went cheap the 1st time to see if I could cast and even fly fish. but now I don't want to buy some **** or get ripped off. heres the link. it also seems to have a disc drag system reel. is this is way better than the rim contolled single action that came with my 20 dollar rod setup? I guess what I am tryin to get at is this even worth the money? White River Fly Shop Dogwood Canyon Fly Outfit

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:41 AM

Flyinsalt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: is this a good setup for the price?

Looks like a great starter outfit. Comes with line and everything. Once you get into fly fishing you will probably want to upgrade, but this will do.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Hello McFly,
Funny you were barely 3 years old when the first movie came out.

Anyway, I have one of the Dogwood Canyon combos. It was my first fly fishing combos and like you thought that it would be a great first time rod. It's to say the least that I can say about it is OK. But if I had to do it all over again I would gone for one of the TFO outfits. I have a TFO Professional that I would trade for nothing. The TFO rods are great rods for the money and cast much better than compared to the White River rods.

I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 05-07-2007, 03:47 PM

Flyinsalt is on a distinguished road

I agree, the TFO rods are great,I have several, but I don't think you'll get one for under $100 and then you'll have to find a reel, line etc. But, that would be a much better investment of your $.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:15 PM

Krash7172 is on a distinguished road

I just priced this for a friend of mine looking to give fly fishing a go. Just don't cheap out on the rod or line.

$100 906-2 S1 (9ft, 6weight, 2 piece) Temple Fork Outfitters™ Fly Rod - 2-Piece Series One
Temple Fork Outfitters Fly Rod - 2-Piece Series One

$30 White River Fly Shop™ Dogwood Canyon Reel
White River Fly Shop Dogwood Canyon Disc Drag Fly Reel

$35 Cortland 333 Pro Fly Line WF6F (Weight Forward, 6 weight, Floating)
Cortland 333 Pro Fly Line - Line - Terminal Tackle & Accessories
Old 05-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Prospecting for Trout

For $174.95 you can get the TFO NXT combo which is a little upgrade on the rod compared to the TFO Signature rod. All NXT outfits include a rod, cast aluminum disc drag reel spooled with fly line, leader and backing packaged in a rod and reel carrying case. Plus a 21 day trail from The Full Creel Fly Shop and free shipping over $100. Hard to beat if you ask me. Check them out when you get the chance.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 05-07-2007, 04:41 PM

Krash7172 is on a distinguished road

I purchased a 6wt TFO Signature as my first rod and I really like it. I think it was a good choice for me at $100. My mistake was buying an expensive reel. I do like having nice things but I've caught quite a few crappie this spring without even using the reel once. I didn't even need it for the 2-1/2lb Largemouth I caught.

A kit like that would have made more sense.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:05 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

thnx guys i will check it out. I went to order and it was sold out! guess maybe its trying to tell me to save up for a tfo rod and reel lol. idk keep ya posted!

Old 05-07-2007, 10:43 PM

I was looking at tfo but there rods are 130 bux or so just for the rod. is there anyways i can get a rod/reel combo that is good for steelhead for about 100 or less thats worth anything or do you got to spend 175 bux for a decent setup? preferebly a size 8wt. I should prolbably just go with something great but I am not the richest guy in the world. I do wanna get serious about flyfishing tho so i should get something that will last. I do know I want something with a disc drag reel. I just figured if I can save some money on the rod/reel combo I can still get all the accesories too

Old 05-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Prospecting for Trout

This is my opinion to you and I'm sure others have their own. Your most important tool in fly fishing is your brain, fly rod, reel, and line. Your most important accessories is your flies, tippet, and leader. Your flies can be put on a piece of foam and placed in a Altoid tin box. Your tippet and tapered leader for steelhead can be built out of the monofilment that you may have sitting in your old tackle box. You can use a pair of needle nose pliers to replace your hemostats in order to remove the fly for the fishes mouth.

These may not be the most orthodox ways to put together your fly fishing gear but who cares what others may think if your just starting out. The point is to catch fish on the fly rod. Lets face it, you can look like the Orvis catalog with the highest dollar rod & reel and every gadget you can pin on your vest and still not know what your doing on the water.

Still, you want a good quality rod. There are I'm sure a few under a $100 bucks but very rare. Here are some other suggestions:

Martin Rod Combo 79.95 plus shipping
St. Croix Premier Outfit ($160)

And I'll still suggest that you get the the TFO because I feel it is such a good deal($184.95) for such a great rod and reel.

TF NXT 8/9 8/9 Wt. 9'-0" 4 Pc.

I hope this helps and good luck to you.
Thanks,
Terry