The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 10:06 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default learned me somethin new last time out

well a week or so ago i took a long weekend and went to one of the parks around here. its a pretty nice park but i always struggle on it pretty bad to get my limit. the first eavening i was there i caught a few pretty quickly suprisingly running a Nymph under a strike indicator and 1 on a dry. most of the time im more of a Nymph guy. well Sat i got up late and went out but really struggled started at about 8am and finally at noon i caught my fourth fish to fill my limit up..this was the very first time that i have ever caught my limit at this park. caught 3 out of the 4 on a Beadhead Phesant tail in size 16 fairly large fly and i was pretty suprised that they wanted such a large fly.
well after that i went up to one of the better fly shops in the area as far as im concerned and asked him what he would suggest to use since i wanted to do a catch and release later that eavening. he told me if he were to fish like i was that the first fly he wouly use was the phesant tail but in a size 20 beadhead. he also told me to try some florocarbon tippet in 7x...i have never used Florocarbon tippet before but know how well it does work from my bass fishing days and the benifits it has. so i bought some Seaguar FX in 7x bought a few Midges as well as 5 size 20 pheasant tails beadheads. he had told me when using these small flies to make my own knotted leader starting at about 4x and stepping down tippet size till i get to the end with the 7X which i have done some already but wasnt sure if that was the right way to do it so that was good that i was at least doing the right thing. also he told me to use a little split shot about 8" above the fly when using these small ones to get it down deeper
later that eavening i didnt get back to the park till about 5pm only had an hour and a half of time to fish and was getting pretty hungry so i thought ill try it for an hour and see how many i can catch. i caught 4 fish in 30 min with 3 of them being back to back casts. i was pretty glad i had went and talked to him and got some ideas. the next morning i went back to the park and really struggled again. was sick the night before for some reason and wasnt feeling too well so that had a lot to do with it but broke off and lost a lot of fish. managed to finally catch 3 and thought im done im goin home.
overall it was a good fishing weekend but didnt get much sleep at all but was a good time. i have always thought about getting some of the Florocarbon but never did jsut mainly due to the cost of it, well i will buy it from now on i know that it really helped a lot.
kinda long but thought i would put that on here if your thinking of getting some Florocarbon but havent because of the price get some you will be suprised at how well it works. with the benifits of it for nymph fishing its great
Old 10-24-2011, 12:54 PM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough
Default Re: learned me somethin new last time out

Hi Luke-I haven,t been using fluoro all that long myself, but I find it also helps with the presentation with dry flies as many torut over here in the uk become leader-shy, but with fluoro that,s not the problem, but there Is a problem-I don,t know whether it,s me or the fluoro, but I have been broken off more since I changed and it,s not always monster trout that do it-sometimes it,s just three pounders that will snap it.
The scenery in the Grand Coulee area of eastern Washington was worth the cost of the air fare on its own. Two doe whitetailed deer drinking not twenty yards away from my boat partner and I as a golden eagle flew overhead looking for dinner. Magnificent and etched in my memory for all time!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Guys,

Knots are crucial with this material (fluorocarbon) I have used it since it became vogue and by tying careful blood knots on the leader while using a variation of the Orvis knot to secure the fly have had great success with it. I trust these knots whether fishing for Grayling or King salmon, I use the same knots.

This is a safe link to the animated knot site from Orvis, take a look if you're not happy with your knots Orvis_Knots

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Luke: Good to hear your getting out and catching fish. Now that your using fluoro, you might be interested in this tip I read over on the Ozark Fly Fisher Journal: I stumbled over an interview with Lefty Kreh on Cleveland.com this week, and amongst other musings Lefty dropped a little gem on using fluorocarbon, I hadnít heard before.

And donít use spit to help cinch down a knot being tied with fluorocarbon line. Human spit has some oil in it, and could make the fluorocarbon knot slip."

Larry

Old 10-24-2011, 04:29 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Luke: Good to hear your getting out and catching fish. Now that your using fluoro, you might be interested in this tip I read over on the Ozark Fly Fisher Journal: I stumbled over an interview with Lefty Kreh on Cleveland.com this week, and amongst other musings Lefty dropped a little gem on using fluorocarbon, I hadnít heard before.

And donít use spit to help cinch down a knot being tied with fluorocarbon line. Human spit has some oil in it, and could make the fluorocarbon knot slip."

Larry
So did he say leave it dry then? I have had knots slip with fluoro.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:31 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Hardy...i had totaly forgot how to tie the blood knots i was using Uni-uni which works ok but i struggle with the stupid thing

Mcnerney...i hadnt ever heard about that one. used to use Florocarbon a lot bass fishing but never on small tippet..that might be the diffrence. ill try it and see how it works i was lubing my knots like i always do with my own saliva but did have quite a few slip on me with fish on