The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 09:47 PM

joshgamble will become famous soon enoughjoshgamble will become famous soon enough
Default Rod speed.

So when I get about 30' of line cast, my rod realy struggles to pull the line back out of the water on the reverse cast. Is that my technique or is it my rod? I am not sure what action my rod is.I know it isnt a fast action.Its a Cabelas Three forks 9' 5wt.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:10 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Rod speed.

I'm not sure I am understanding you correctly. One question: when you say that you are struggling with pulling the line out of the water, are you lifting the line up and breaking the surface tension of the line, leader and fly--- or are you just trying to pull the line and cast all in one motion?

From the way it sounds, you are trying to just pull it all out of the water in a back cast motion, without first 'mending' (I know probably not the best word to use there...) the line and leader and fly out of the surface.

I (subconsciously- don't even really think about it-- but since I am trying to describe it....) usually lift all of my line and such up, almost straight upwards before starting a false cast. Similar to the motion when you are roll casting.

Does this make any sense? hope it helps.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi josh,

Before making a back cast you have to have the tip of the fly line moving so there is no slack in the fly line. You should start you cast with the rpd tip pointing at the water and strip in line until the tip of the fly line is moving and then start your back cast from this low tip position.

You have to judge how much line you have out. Lets say you have feed line during your mends or you had cast 50' of line. You have to strip back more line than just getting the tip of the fly line moving. If you have too much line out it will be much harder to make your back cast.

Frank

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 06-26-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:20 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Your rod tip should be in, or as close to, the water as possible. You should have taken a couple long slow strips to get the fly as close to the surface as possible, and to eliminate slack.

Both your rod and line hands should be nearly touching and extended as far forward as you can reach when you start the pick up.

Start moving both hands rearward and upwards while still pointing the rod toward the fly. This will get the line moving. As your rod hand gets up right about even with your eyes, start hauling on the line and accelerate the rod up and back, rotating the rod at the last possible moment into a hard stop at about the 2 o'clock position.

If you can't yet haul on the backcast, forget the hauling part. If you don't have too much line out, you won't need to do it.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-26-2010, 10:12 PM

joshgamble will become famous soon enoughjoshgamble will become famous soon enough

The rod tip down thing sounds like exactly my issue. I am doing everything else, to my untrained eye, the taking up slack,hauling etc. I am definitely starting with my rod to high though. Thanks for thehints.