The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Single person drift boats? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/198490-single-person-drift-boats.html)

iciclecreek 10-25-2011 08:20 PM

Single person drift boats?

hello,
I am looking to buy a single person pontoon boat for my local rivers and lakes. I am mainly looking for one that can handle 2 maybe 3 class rivers and won't tear easy on the bottom.The last thing i want is for the bottom to break in January with a foot of snow.

I will mostly be drifting down My river (wenatchee river if that helps) and pulling off to wade for steelhead. Also for under $600 is about where im looking. Any recomendations?

Liphookedau 10-25-2011 08:55 PM

Re: Single person drift boats?

Hi.
Have you looked at Dave Scadden's Site,you will be supprised,however I don't know the prices.
Also I've seen in past posts where Joni uses one,so it might be an idea to get her opinion on them..
Brian

al_a 10-25-2011 09:17 PM

Best craft I've found for solo fly fishing on rivers up to class 3 is a Watermaster raft from Big Sky Inflatables in Montana. This is a small inflatable, oval in shape, without a floor in front of the seat. It has built in oar locks and break-down oars for getting through rapids, but while actually fishing you wear swim fins and kick your feet to maneuver and slow yourself down as your feet dangle into the opening in front of you. There's a cargo area in back of the seat for your extra gear.

I used one of these from mid-August to mid-October on the Yellowstone River, including some class 2-3 stuff. Way better to fish from than any other solo craft I've ever used, and I've used the inflatable pontoon craft, solo canoes, kayaks, inflatable kayaks, and folding canoes.

Only drawback for you is that it's expensive...$1200-1500. But it's worth it if you can afford it.

oregonism 10-25-2011 09:29 PM

Pontoon boat?

Vans 10-25-2011 09:33 PM

That price point is going to be a problem i think. Ive never seen a 1 person drift boat. There are plenty of short ones but that might still be more than you want to deal with. A good pontoon is probably your best bet. However, for that class of rapids i dont see it happening at that price point, even used.

iciclecreek 10-25-2011 09:37 PM

yes, .

mcnerney 10-25-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liphookedau (Post 337607)
Hi.
Have you looked at Dave Scadden's Site,you will be supprised,however I don't know the prices.
Also I've seen in past posts where Joni uses one,so it might be an idea to get her opinion on them..
Brian

I agree with Brian. Take a look at the NFO web site: davescadden2010catalog
I bought the NFO Rampage, it is a little longer (10 ft 6" vs 9 ft) than the Renegade, but unless you think you might want to do some camping the Renegade would work fine. You will be amazed at how well these boats handle when rowing in a current or on a lake with a stiff breeze. I also like the fact that they are under 40 lbs, can easily be deflated, folded and fit nicely in the trunk of a car. Inflating is a snap with the optional electric pump. Here is the page comparing the various models: davescadden2010catalog

Larry

Vans 10-25-2011 10:08 PM

Scaddens are great boats.

I really, really, really, really, really, really want an Outlaw Avenger XX. So much so i am strongly considering selling my Triumph Sprint ST motorcycle because i dont have the patience to wait until i can comfortably buy one...

dusty h 10-26-2011 12:00 AM

As much as I want to push the Scaddens (I want the X5 myself) they dont fall into his price range at $600. I have a toon' from cabelas that was like $400 bucks and it works just fine and will suffice until I can get the X5. If $600 is your absolute budget then there are definitely pontoons out there that will work for what you need. They wont be the best but they will get the job done just fine.

mojo 10-26-2011 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iciclecreek (Post 337598)
hello,
I am looking to buy a single person pontoon boat for my local rivers and lakes. I am mainly looking for one that can handle 2 maybe 3 class rivers and won't tear easy on the bottom.The last thing i want is for the bottom to break in January with a foot of snow.

I will mostly be drifting down My river (wenatchee river if that helps) and pulling off to wade for steelhead. Also for under $600 is about where im looking. Any recomendations?

Unless you find something used, it'll be hard to find a boat like that for $600.