The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   steelhead nymphing rig (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/198496-steelhead-nymphing-rig.html)

iciclecreek 10-25-2011 09:19 PM

steelhead nymphing rig

What is your favorite rig for nymphing steelhead? Usualy 3 to 8 foot pools are where i have caught steelhead in my rivers. How do you like to tapper your leader (length per section, dia.)? I want to use a thingamabobber with about a 9 foot leader and have a heavy nymph with a plastic bead (slamon roe) as a trailer, how does that sound?

Vans 10-25-2011 09:29 PM

Re: steelhead nymphing rig

I dont really care for nymph fishing myself so i generally dont unless i am really wanting to catch a fish when all others techniques fail. That being said, your set up is generally the same style used by those i fish around and a common technique on local waters. More often there is a double nymph set up.

MoscaPescador 10-25-2011 10:28 PM

Here's how I look at technique.

If I really want to nymph fish, here is how I would rig my indo-rig.

From floating fly line:

2-3 feet .024" mono butt section tied to a swivel. Indicator is attached to the butt section.

5 foot section of 10 pound test Maxima Ultragreen. One end tied to the swivel. One end tied to a tippet ring.

2 foot section of 8 pound test Maxima Ultragreen. One end tied to tippet ring. One end tied to fly.

If I choose a dropper, a 1 foot section of 8 pound test Maxima Ultragreen is attached to the tippet ring with whatever dropper fly I choose.

I usually do not fish two flies.

Dennis

Vans 10-25-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 337695)

I wasnt passing judgement in anyway, just personal preference. I know there are a lot of fly fishermen who do look down their noses at nymphing, but that isnt me. Frankly, i find it kinda a pain in the @$$. It is a chore to cast and i havent gotten down stack mending yet. One of my fishing buddies has a lot of success nymphing and loves to do it. Meh, just not my style.

I like to catch fish and it is exciting when i do, but i am out to have a good time on the water in a great setting. If i have to engage in a technique i dont personally like just to catch a fish, well, more often than not i will just pass and not catch a fish. I will still go home happy though.

It hasnt stopped me from buying a big pile of nymphs to fill up my boxes with though. lol

iciclecreek 10-26-2011 06:17 PM

Ha true. I am just so used to catching 20-30 trout a day on my silly little parachute adams. I have only caught 2 steelhead on the fly though i have only gone one time with someone who knows how to catch them. So once i got the easy way down i will probably scandinavian cast it up.

Check out the video above your comment it is funny as hell.

MoscaPescador 10-26-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iciclecreek (Post 338087)
Check out the video above your comment it is funny as hell.

I prefer the swing, but I will indo-bob-nymph if I have to.

That guy has a whole series of those Xtranormal videos. They are hilarious.

Dennis

Guest1 10-27-2011 01:34 AM

I've seen this video before. I loved it.

GeorgeMcFly 10-27-2011 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 337695)

Steelhead Nymphing vs Swinging Flys.mp4 - YouTube

If I really want to nymph fish, here is how I would rig my indo-rig.

From floating fly line:

2-3 feet .024" mono butt section tied to a swivel. Indicator is attached to the butt section.

5 foot section of 10 pound test Maxima Ultragreen. One end tied to the swivel. One end tied to a tippet ring.

2 foot section of 8 pound test Maxima Ultragreen. One end tied to tippet ring. One end tied to fly.

If I choose a dropper, a 1 foot section of 8 pound test Maxima Ultragreen is attached to the tippet ring with whatever dropper fly I choose.

I usually do not fish two flies.

Dennis

I also use this method. Make my own 7ft mono tapered leader add a barrel swivel then tie on 2 or so ft of flourocarbon 8 or 6lb to make it 9ft give or take. add split shot depending on depth you fish and then your fly(usually egg patterns) and a adjustable indicator so you can just tick the bottom without snagging. Also a neat tip I will share. I use this in shallower water. No indicator at all! Use the tip of your fly line as the indicator. I just cast, mend and dead drift the speed of the river and if you see your fly line stop suddenly, jerk or look unnatural then set the hook! I catch alot of steel in the spring this way.

HuronRiverDan 10-31-2011 07:07 AM

Dennis, thanks for the video...a good laugh to start the day...

As far as nymphing goes, I rig a 2 fly set-up. Leader is 9 to 10 foot, with a dropper tyed in where the tippet is attached. Usually put and egg pattern on the dropper and a small stone or caddis larvae on the point. Add enough split shot to tick the gravel and I'm good to go...If I'm in a spot that has a lot of rubble that I'm snagging up on I'll add an indicator for depth control.

Dan