The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 04:52 PM

tpcollins is on a distinguished road
Default Sink tip, shooting head, shooting taper - what's the difference?

I want to go back to Salmon fishing with a fly rod next fall. I bought a new 10wt and I want to strip streamers and leeches in 3' - 6' of water which has some fairly good currents. I can't see casting more than 60' - 70' and I'd be casting from a boat.

So what fly line would I want to get my patterns down to holding fish - sink tip type III, shooting head, shooting taper, or what? Thanks.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:52 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sink tip, shooting head, shooting taper - what's the difference?

From the conditions that you are fishing, I would errr towards a shooting head. I would have type 3, type 6, and type 8 heads. Various factors will determine which head is best. The running line would be an intermediate sink.

The idea of a shooting head, besides distance, is to have the whole head underwater. That way your fly will stay at depth more consistently.

If you decide to go that route, do not buy a shooting head based off of AFTMA line weight (10wt, 11wt, etc.). Buy it based off of grain weight. To throw the extra bulk of your streamers, a 10 weight rod will load better with a 375 to 425 grain head.

For more details, visit your local fly fishing shop.

Dennis

PS:
Quote:
Sink tip, shooting head, shooting taper - what's the difference?

Sink tip
- the head portion of the line is part sinking and part floating.
Shooting head - a head part of a line that is either looped (traditional) or integrated into a running line that is made for distance casting. Each head can be of various densities from floating to uber fast sink. Traditional shooting heads are popular for interchangeability. Integrated heads are great for those who do not having to deal with loops.
Shooting taper - see shooting head.