The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 07:00 AM

amateurforever is on a distinguished road
Default Line and reel match for Sage Vantage 9ft 9wt (pike and saltwater)

Hi everybody

Just received the mentioned rod. I'll use it for occasional Pike and saltwater. Now I'll have to buy the reel and line as well.

I prefer not to spend a lot so found the okuma airframe to be a good choice, very cheap but in UK forums they say it is durable. Has anyone tried it here?

For pike I think to go for Rio Pike line, but what about the saltwater? Which is preferable? Shooting head (which I'm thinking about the Orvis one) or separate lines?

Thank you for reading. Please leave a comment.
cheers
Mohsen
Old 10-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Line and reel match for Sage Vantage 9ft 9wt (pike and saltwater)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurforever View Post
Hi everybody

For pike I think to go for Rio Pike line,
Thank you for reading. Please leave a comment.
cheers
Mohsen
The Rio Pike line is about the only Pike taper I never tried. I can't say with any certainty how good it is, but I have come to like the Scientific Anglers Mastery Series Pike Musky taper. To be fair to Rio, I only own one Rio line and I love it.

Sorry I have not tried the reel so can't help you there.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:40 AM

amateurforever is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the reply.

I bought the mentioned reel, and it's fine. For 20 euros is really worth to buy. Loaded it with a floating Airflo velocity #9 (used to be called tru cast, seems the company is selling the same line under another name and with a different color), simply since my local shop did not have any Pike lines. Anyway the set up does the job. At the beginning it was really difficult to get used to the set up, since I had experience only with light weighted rods and flies. At the end of the day I could cast a 4/0 sized pike fly for about 20 meters. Not the best, but just fine for the moment.

cheers
Mohsen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
The Rio Pike line is about the only Pike taper I never tried. I can't say with any certainty how good it is, but I have come to like the Scientific Anglers Mastery Series Pike Musky taper. To be fair to Rio, I only own one Rio line and I love it.

Sorry I have not tried the reel so can't help you there.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:17 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurforever View Post
Thank you for the reply.

I bought the mentioned reel, and it's fine. For 20 euros is really worth to buy. Loaded it with a floating Airflo velocity #9 (used to be called tru cast, seems the company is selling the same line under another name and with a different color), simply since my local shop did not have any Pike lines. Anyway the set up does the job. At the beginning it was really difficult to get used to the set up, since I had experience only with light weighted rods and flies. At the end of the day I could cast a 4/0 sized pike fly for about 20 meters. Not the best, but just fine for the moment.

cheers
Mohsen
I would think 20 m would be very sufficient. It is actually quite good with such a large fly.

As for the saltwater fly line, you might want to talk that over with a fly shop or manufacturer. According to the companies, saltwater lines have a harder coating that stands up to the saltwater environment. There are, of course, many tapers for different presentations just like the freshwater lines.

The real difference comes in the core of the line, and it depends on where you are fishing. If you are fishing topical or subtropical areas, the stiffer cores are going to help with your loop stability on long casts. If you are fishing in higher or lower latitudes, the multifiliament braided cores are going to stay supple and manageable in colder temps.