The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 08:03 PM

iciclecreek will become famous soon enoughiciclecreek will become famous soon enough
Default Positioning one's self for steelhead

When you are walking up river and you think you found a run where the steelhead might be how do you like to position your self? I like to start down river and slowly start picking out the run from bottm to top and working my way into "the heart of it". Does this sound good and any tips? How long do you like to watch a run to look for steels before fishing it?
Old 10-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Positioning one's self for steelhead

Hi Iceman,

Presuming you can take time to watch without people rushing into the water in front of you I like to watch a lot more than I like to cast. A better approach may be to get to the head of the run and after determining how deep the water is, velocity counts too, start from the head and work to the tail. Current speed and depth will determine where you position yourself and to where you place the fly to start the drift / swing. As the fly arcs down & across the channel you'll figure out where it should be by watching the fly line. Based on the length of leader and the amount of fly line that is sunk beneath the surface you can pretty well ascertain where each swing is passing as you slowly work down the stream / river.

There is much to be said when we would discuss how to most effectively cast and fish with streamer flies for trout or steelhead trout. I could go on at great length trying to cover all of the fine points of presentation and fly control but that would be the stuff of a book on this topic. There are some works out there that address good technique and more are being written every year. Locating the fish if possible is the number one and ideal goal whether we talk salmon, steelhead, or your local trout population. After you've got their 20 then you begin to make the approach as carefully as you can but don't start at the bottom of the run and work up, think on going top down.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-30-2011, 12:37 AM

iciclecreek will become famous soon enoughiciclecreek will become famous soon enough

Very well said Ard. I think this is what makes steelhead fishing so fun. I don't hunt for dear or anything, but finding the steelhead and getting it on the hook is alot like dear hunting i imagine. A very rewarding game.

In my mind it feels like if i start from the bottom the fish will have a lesser chance of spotting me because they are facing upstream. When there is alot of overhead vegitation i can't make very long casts and usualy have to roll it. therefore i have to be closer to the fish.

Why do you like to start upstream?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:12 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Because if I do everything right the only thing the fish will see is my fly crossing the current in front of them. As you work your way down every cast will be traveling another foot further downstream provided you move a little downstream after each swing.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;