The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 12:05 PM

jackd001 is on a distinguished road
Default Flies to use right off the bat

When you guys pull up to a stream or river for trout what fly or flies do you like to tie on first before you really have a great idea of what exact insect and stage the fish are biting on?

If you were to just walk up to a stream and never fished it before, never heard about what works what fly would you use then?
Old 06-26-2010, 02:17 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Flies to use right off the bat

I think I'd consider the fishing pressure on the water-- if the fish see a lot of flies, I think I'd try something along the lines of the venerable wooly bugger...

One would be inclined to try attractor patterns (something that doesn't represent one specific species, but could pass for many different bugs), but again, I'd guess with heavy pressure, the fish have seen them all and probably have 'learned' to stick with the hatches.

I'm sure they've seen plenty of buggers, but the colors and sizes are so varied, you could probably get some (color/ size/ tail length/ etc.) combo to work.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:35 PM

trapper50cal is on a distinguished road

The "Ol' Reliable" is going to be different from stream to stream....In Durango and related areas, the ol' reliable is a bead-headed prince nymph or a Stimulator. But you should always just stand on rivers edge and watch for a bit...Is there a hatch? Do you see heads and tails surfacing? If not, it may be time to start rigging up for nymphs or emergers. Research regarding entomology in the region you're fishing will help a bunch too.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:46 PM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

tom thumbs. it works every time
Old 06-28-2010, 07:39 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

I generally start with a black or olive wooly bugger or a gold ribbed hare's ear nymph or a pheasant tail.

Bear in mind that I fish bass and bluegills mainly, though this tends to be my approach with trout, too.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:01 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I am a "match the hatch" kind of a person. Before I tie on a fly, I will sit around to see what's going on. After that I will look under rocks or seine the water for bugs. I prefer to make my fly choice based off of that.

It is important that you learn some basic streamside entomology. If you can tell the difference between caddis, mayfly, and stonefly in various stages, you are halfway there. The other half is to be able to make the choice for a fly that is similar in body shape, size, and color.

Don't expect to know the name of every fly in your box. What's important is that you know what that fly represents.

Yesterday was my girlfriend's second day stillwater fishing. I let her make our initial fly choices. She waded near the shoreline, and looked around. Her choices were a very skinny olive leech pattern for the wet line rigs and a gray soft hackle for the dry line rigs. She still has to learn her stillwater bugs, but she matched a damselfly nymph and an emerging Calibaetis mayfly. We outfished everyone else on the lake.

MP
Old 06-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

MP: Excellent advice. Reminds me of last year I was fishing the Yampa River. When I got there I sat down on the river bank and started rigging my rod and before I got the leader connected a yellow sally landed on my hand. That told me what fly to use, I think I caught 22 trout that day.

Larry