The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2007, 11:23 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default my new 8 wt for steelhead!

after driving myself insane i couldn't bring myself to spend 190 bux so i instead opted for the $99 cabela's brand rod/reel combo in a 8wt size. it comes with line leader backing and a large arbor reel with disc drag with a cork washer. also comes with a rod and reel case and a video on how to fly fish.
I know name brands are the so called best around and i should of prolly saved up for one instead but I figured if this can last me a year or 2 I can get a great rod if I get better at fly fishing. so anyone try one of these poles? the reviews are good and the one review that sold me was the one where the guy says he fishes for atlantic salmon and catches 20+ pounders and they run 100 yards and his rod/ reel held up great. well hope it works good enough for me and at least a season of steelie fishing! might use it for bass and blue gill even tho they are over powered by it. i still got my $20 martin 6 wt i can use for the blues. just scared to hook into something big with it. it doesn't have any drag system but your palm!!! here is the website and the combo. hell if the combo doesn't work i got a rod and reel bag at least lol. Cabela's Fly-Fishing Combos

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:58 PM

jayraider is on a distinguished road
Default Re: cabelas combos

I was given the same combo for Christmas this year. I could not be any more happy with it. Is it the four piece? Mine is the 6 weight, and i plan to go try the Cimarron River with it at the end of June! I have already been catching blue gill and bass with it though. Good Luck out there!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:00 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: my new 8 wt for steelhead!

awesome jay! now that i look i see its a 2 piece. does that matter? glad to hear its works tho. what lures do you use for your bluegill/bass fishing? I have yet to catch a fish but i went 2 times and once it was muddy and fast i tried a nymph with no indicator.! next time i tried a beetle and grasshopper but it was a lil muddy that day also. i will blame it on the mud! lol.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:10 AM

jayraider is on a distinguished road

I just bought a 7 wieght from bass pro shops and it is a two piece. I can not feel too much of a difference between the two, but i am very new to fly fishing so the validity might be off. The best thing about the cabelas rig is that it is 100% garantee, so if it snaps, just send it in and get a new one! I use bright colored streamers and whooly buggers. I also will use nymphs that have beaded heads to help them sink quicker, which i think is best for still water fishing.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:21 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

I think you'll be happy with the Cabela's. I have a similar rod from Bass Pro, and it's OK. The more expensive rods are definately nice, if you have the budget, but the Cabela's outfit is a good value.

The only real advantage to the 4 piece from the 2 piece is that it's easier to carry around the 4 piece. I'm slowly replacing my 2 piece rods with 4 piece.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 05-17-2007, 11:48 PM

got my combo in the mail today! looks awesome! nice looking combo with a nice hard case and sock and free dvd on fly fishing. all in all looks like a good deal. seems pretty lightweight also. i figured a 8wt would be really heavy. plus it comes with a pretty nice looking large arbor reel! . one plus is that it didn't come all strung up already. it was all seperate.that means i get to practice my knots! i just tied a new leader on my 20 dollar combo using a nail knot with a straw. just a little difficult at first but only cause my finger would cramp up a lil. finally got it i think! now i get to try the arbor knot and the albright and another nail knot! i've already got the improved clinch down so i am good there. can't wait to try her out!!!

Old 05-18-2007, 02:32 PM

Get yourself one of those knot-tying tools that include the tying aid, a line clipper, and a small file for sharpening hooks. They cost approx $8 and work much better than straws. You can use them to tie all the knots you'll need for freshwater fly fishing.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:33 PM

ya i seen those! i need me one of them. they look awesome. plus i bet its way easier

Old 05-18-2007, 11:07 PM

do you know eher you can get the tyer for 8 bux? everywhere i look its like 15 bux. i've checked ebay

Old 05-20-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
do you know eher you can get the tyer for 8 bux? everywhere i look its like 15 bux. i've checked ebay
OK, mybe my memory is a little off..hate getting old!

The thing is called "Tie Fast Combo Tool" and was listed in the 2005 Cabela's Fly-Fishing catalog for $9.99. I live 15 minutes from a big Bss Pro shop, and I think I got one on sale once for $7.95.

Buy one for $15, and next time you feel like renting a video, read a book instead. I've made lots of money that way. Heck, once I bought a fully rigged bass boat with money I earned by deciding to not go on a sightseeing trip to Paris.