The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 04:03 PM

gordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura about
Default Water proof camera .. your suggestions?

Guess I need to upgrade to a better camera for fishing in the water ...

What has worked well for you in the < than 150.00 / 200.00 range?

Thanks!

Gordon in NC
Old 10-30-2011, 06:30 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice
Default Re: Water proof camera .. your suggestions?

Here's a thread that was started recently with a lot of good suggestions, it'll at least get you pointed in the right direction.
Waterproof cameras

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:47 PM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough

I have been very happy with the Canon PowerShot D10. Its a 12.1 MP camera thats waterproof with 3x optical image stabilized zoom and a 2.5-inch LCD screen. This camera is made for outdoor use. I have not (and don't plan to) use it underwater but I don't worry having it in my vest while wading. Its a little higher than the price range you listed. Amazon has it now for $268 which is less than I paid a little over a year ago. Its a great fishing camera.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:50 PM

rjw is on a distinguished road

GoPro/contour? I understand that its not a very popular choice for photography but it can be a good one if youre wanting to get some video as well, and gopro's can still get some pretty sweet stills
Old 10-31-2011, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If I was getting one today, I'd probably get this one that's about $160 from Panasonic- Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS10 Digital Camera (Red) DMC-TS10R B&H

(other colors available)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Being a lover of good deals.....................

The one Cliff just posted stands out in the frugal choice department and will no doubt get it done.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-31-2011, 10:29 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

+1 Ard. I've had several Lumix cameras over the years and they've all be excellent bit's 'o kit. And the seller (B & H) are top notch to work with.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:49 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I know I've weighed in on this before. You've already had some great suggestions. My son shoots the Pentax Optio WS80 and he is pretty leased with what it can do. Fully waterproof, 10 megapixels, shoots video. I would look at thefind.com for what's out there. Here is a recent page I took from there showing the camera currently at $130 at one seller: | Shop sales & prices at TheFind

Here are some examples of how it does:

Click the image to open in full size.

For the money I think its one of the better deals out there and it does a great job.

Kelly.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
My son shoots the Pentax Optio WS80 and he is pretty leased with what it can do. Fully waterproof, 10 megapixels, shoots video...
Kelly.
Basically every pic I've ever posted on here was shot with a predecessor to that one, the Optio WP- Pentax Optio WP: Digital Photography Review

As with most tech products, you can get much more bang for your buck now. I think I paid about $300 for mine. After about 5 years, its still waterproof and takes pretty nice shots-

Side note, I recommend finding a cell-phone holster with a spring loaded belt clip to keep it in. Attach a lanyard from the strap on the camera to the holster itself. I found mine at Big Lots for about $4.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:29 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Pentax has a nice line of WP cameras and they are reasonably priced. My only choice for waterproof cameras.