The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 10:02 PM

iciclecreek will become famous soon enoughiciclecreek will become famous soon enough
Default Salmon and Trout in Washington

Hey check out this video i made. Is that a big bull trout. It was caught in a tributary (30 feet wide) to Columbia River.

Washington Salmon and trout - YouTube
Old 10-31-2011, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Salmon and Trout in Washington

Hi iceman,

I don't know if I saw the right thing but the first looked like a hen silver / coho that was starting to take on color and lose the shine, second sure looks like a male Dolly, third another Coho but a buck with more color and that last looks like a nice steelhead or one really big rainbow. Nice bunch of fish,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-31-2011, 09:16 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

The Bull looked to be good sized, imo. However, they are commonly caught much larger. One of my wifes coworkers sent me a pic on a Bull he caught on the Elk river in BC that measured 31.5"....

Grats on the fish.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Vans help me out here, which is the bull trout? I've never seen one and I thought I was looking at a male char.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-31-2011, 10:03 PM

iciclecreek will become famous soon enoughiciclecreek will become famous soon enough

The 2nd fish is. When i was up on the keni everyone in Alaska was calling them dolly and i thought it was a brook trout. ha. We only get bull in this river.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:30 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

As mentioned, the second is a Bull.

Here is a pic of the 31.5" bull caught by a coworker of my wife out of the Elk river.

Click the image to open in full size.

The fish in the video is a bull. In the lower 48 pac nw dolly is slang for bulls that is incorrect. It isnt the same as what you are used to.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:11 PM

very good looking fish, thats not fair i didn't have a net
Old 11-03-2011, 12:17 PM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Yes I was born in Washington and for many years always thought bull trout were just very big dolly vardens till I found out they,re a distinct species on their own and would love to get back to the northwest to have a go for one.
The scenery in the Grand Coulee area of eastern Washington was worth the cost of the air fare on its own. Two doe whitetailed deer drinking not twenty yards away from my boat partner and I as a golden eagle flew overhead looking for dinner. Magnificent and etched in my memory for all time!
Old 11-03-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytier07 View Post
Yes I was born in Washington and for many years always thought bull trout were just very big dolly vardens till I found out they,re a distinct species on their own and would love to get back to the northwest to have a go for one.
My fishing buddy and i are planning a trip already to go down and stay in Camp Sherman, right on the Metolius. Big Bull central. I have never caught one but from what i hear they are quite the fish. Mean and super aggressive.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:42 AM

Pound for pound that Bull Trout fought just as hard as a steelhead. When you see the reel spinning at the start. i had enough time to take out my camera to video the bull taking out my line.