The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 08:22 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all
Default Is this Ethical?

Because trout season is closed here in Minnesota, I went mooneye fishing the past weekend. My mooneye river has trout in, but is not demarcated trout water by the DNR. I intentionally avoided the parts of the stream that usually hold trout and went straight to the mooneye hole. There were a couple mooneye on the rise, but not very many, so I tied on a pair of nymphs and went to work.

Unfortunately I caught a 14" brown trout female that had obviously recently spawned. It was thin as a rail and very tired. The trout in the area are normally fat and frisky. I had never even seen a trout in this part of the stream before, but in hindsight there is a gravel bed that is perfect for spawning just upstream from where I was fishing.

Of course I immediately stopped fishing and instead scouted some brookie streams I'd been meaning to investigate, in preparation for the winter season.

Since the presentations and techniques overlap so much between trout and mooneye, was I out of line fishing in (unmarked) trout water using such techniques during a closed season during spawning? This has been bugging me, and I would welcome any opinion or discussion.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:53 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Is this Ethical?

You weren't breaking the law, so your actions are apparently consistent with your own personal code of ethics, and that's all that really matters.

My thoughts on angling ethics are that the truly ethical angler not only knows the regulations, he knows the reasoning behind the regulations and he takes the time to know all he can about the fisheries in his favorite waters. Then he decides, based upon real knowledge instead of some kind of ideology, how much of an impact he's willing to have on those fisheries. You made the decision that if you continued catching trout in that piece of river, it wouldn't be right. Did you make it because you thought you'd really be harming the trout population?

A counter-illustration of this is the situation on my favorite smallmouth bass waters. Non-native spotted bass are invading my rivers and pushing out the native smallies. Regulations to combat this allow for much more harvest of spotted bass, and such harvest is encouraged to help the smallmouth population. Yet most serious bass anglers in these waters still catch and release both smallies and spotted bass, just because they believe in catch and release. But if they really knew the situation and cared about the fishery, they'd kill every spotted bass they legally could. To my way of thinking, they are not really being ethical in releasing spotted bass on these waters.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:43 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Good reply al_a. Not sure what I could add to that.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nothing unethical about catching a non targeted species, this happens to me often when trout fishing I catch salmon. If you want to avoid disturbing spawning fish remember that the brook trout are on those beds at this time as well. The commingling of the two species is what has led to the demise of the brook trout in the lower reaches of many watersheds. The brown trout are generally larger and more aggressive about staking out the prime spawning areas. This competition between the native and the introduced fish led to the brook trout being relegated to head waters in many fisheries. Soon the spawning will be past depending on your latitude and all those males will be scattering in the streams below and above the tail waters of the runs and pools. This is when they are hungry and when a stout leader and streamer fly will be a good combination. The streamer to offer a good size meal and the stout leader to bring the fish to hand, net, or shore quickly. Colder water carries a lessened oxygen load and the fish will tire quickly and recover more slowly due to both the temp and the low O2 content of the water.

And that's my short answer...............

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-31-2011, 09:59 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

And that's why they pay Ard the big bucks.