The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2007, 12:29 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road
Default Catching Crawfish

Do any of you catch crawfish in your local ponds? What method do you use?

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 05-18-2007, 12:55 PM

Krash7172 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Catching Crawfish

Lift rocks and grab
Old 05-18-2007, 03:52 PM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

To eat or to use as bait? A trap would work nicely. Use a small can of cat food as bait. Purge. Boil. Eat and wash it down with a nice beer, or some Chardonney.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

A trap is good.

When I was a kid, I'd tie a stip pf bacon on the end of a string and throw it in. I'd lift it every now and then and a crawfish (crawdad as we called them then) would be klinging to the bacon. He would't let go untill I grabed him.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:01 AM

philthy is on a distinguished road

Hmmm,

We'd use a minnow seine to catch 'em in the ponds where I grew up in southeast Texas. We also stuffed panty hose with bacon. The crawfish would get their claws stuck in the material and you'd just pick them off. Of course, we also found out it was a good idea to ask Mom BEFORE you decided to take her "Sunday Best"!

Shrimp boil with new potaotes, pearl onions, and corn on the cob boiled with "mud bugs" is hard to beat, especially with an ice cold beer.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:21 PM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road

Small open top crab pots with chicken gizzards stuffed in a panty sock. Used to be some awesome crawfishing and crabbin in the ditches down around Fourchon and Grand Isle.....

Bruce
Old 05-20-2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMedic View Post
Small open top crab pots with chicken gizzards stuffed in a panty sock. Used to be some awesome crawfishing and crabbin in the ditches down around Fourchon and Grand Isle.....

Bruce
Bruce,
Spend much time in that area? That's where I'm from.

Well, I went Friday night to Lake Pueblo. Long story made short, I saw one. On the way back to Colorado Springs I decided to hit a local small pond and there was a bunch. I scooped them with a net. I had to throw a lot back because they were loaded with eggs on their bottom side. They are illegal to keep if they have eggs but I'd have thrown them back anyway. I'm going to get me a few traps and go back there again. I caught enough to get my fix.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 05-30-2007, 02:40 PM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road

Mitch I worked for several years in the oilfield as a Diver and Tender prior to leaving to become a Paramedic. When all the guys went to the bars prior to jobs that loaded out of the docks at Fourchon or Grand Isle I would pack up the truck and go fish or crab. I can remember back when the "Cajun Sportsman" store was just a lil bitty stop and shop....No bar/restaraunt behind it, or anything....back before they built that huge truck stop further down towards the Fourchon dock/beach. Spend the day prior to goin to work fishin and crabbin and camp on the beach. Go to work and send the goods back with the girlfriend and have a killer cookout upon returning from the job....

I miss the friends I made in the areas south of New Orleans, from places like CutOff, Bayou LaFourche, Bayou Blue, Bayou Vista, Houma, Bourg and so on....I dont miss the job, not even with all the air time they are gettin on the Discovery Channel.....

Have a good one,

Bruce
Old 05-31-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMedic View Post
Mitch I worked for several years in the oilfield as a Diver and Tender prior to leaving to become a Paramedic. When all the guys went to the bars prior to jobs that loaded out of the docks at Fourchon or Grand Isle I would pack up the truck and go fish or crab. I can remember back when the "Cajun Sportsman" store was just a lil bitty stop and shop....No bar/restaraunt behind it, or anything....back before they built that huge truck stop further down towards the Fourchon dock/beach. Spend the day prior to goin to work fishin and crabbin and camp on the beach. Go to work and send the goods back with the girlfriend and have a killer cookout upon returning from the job....

I miss the friends I made in the areas south of New Orleans, from places like CutOff, Bayou LaFourche, Bayou Blue, Bayou Vista, Houma, Bourg and so on....I dont miss the job, not even with all the air time they are gettin on the Discovery Channel.....

Have a good one,

Bruce

Right on! I miss it too. I'll be down there for a week and a half starting June 27th. Going for a visit and fishing. We are going to hit the West side in Leeville. Did you know that they are building a new bridge in Leeville? I don't know how many hours we spent sitting on the South side waiting for the DOT to fix it so we could get home. I bet you been there too. *LOL* Anyone who travels south of the bridge a lot has been there.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard "Mudbugs" are very good.
Our local trophy lake(Strawberry)has grundles of them. My 2 brother in-laws used to catch them as kids, perhaps it's time to give them a try.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*