The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 12:00 AM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Furled or mono leaders?

What are your thoughts? I use furled leaders because it's what I learned on. A lot of my buddies say it's too thick and will spook fish. I have caught brook trout in the mountains to brown trout in tailwaters using it. I like how it flips the fly and gives your line some back bone. Not to mention strength. SO what what are some pros and cons in using either one? Looking forward to your answers.......

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 11-02-2011, 07:14 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Furled or mono leaders?

I use them for all my fishing....except nymphing. I like the the fact that if you tangle it, you can untangle it rather than cut it out. For skinny, clear water, use a longer tippet.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:33 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I use both. I don't do much trout fishing, am primarily a warmwater & saltwater angler.

Since trying the furled leaders, I really like them, but I tie my own single strand leaders too, and have not tried making furled leaders as yet, so I buy them. I have a good amount of money invested in line for tying my own leaders, otherwise, I might go with just furled leaders. I still have some knotless tapered leaders that I've purchased too, and will use them if I see a need to do so.

The only con's I can think of, I buy them, and they do tend to pick up debris in the water, but so do knotted leaders. If I'm fishing somewhere that has a lot of algae, or sometimes pollen on the water, I usually will go with a single strand leader. I have yet to encounter a situation where the furled leader was spooking fish. I've spooked them but not because of the leader.

Fact is, there could always be the possibility of what you're using, whether it be the size rod, the leader, the tippet or the fly, to not be perfect for the situation at hand. Much of the fishing we encounter will always result in compromises, because it's not practical to own or carry with us, all the "right" stuff, all the time. Most of us who have been at this for awhile can adjust, and how we do so is most times the best compromise with what we have on hand. Errors we make should become learning experiences, and only result in lost or no fish at all, or perhaps a few lost flies. It's fishing, it's not brain surgery!

It boils down to personal choices, so use what you're happy with, and what works best for you, until you see something that tells you that you need to change.

Regardless of what your buddies are telling you, if you're satisfied with the furled leaders & catching fish using them, then you should go with what works best for you!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:12 AM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
I use both. I don't do much trout fishing, am primarily a warmwater & saltwater angler.

Since trying the furled leaders, I really like them, but I tie my own single strand leaders too, and have not tried making furled leaders as yet, so I buy them. I have a good amount of money invested in line for tying my own leaders, otherwise, I might go with just furled leaders. I still have some knotless tapered leaders that I've purchased too, and will use them if I see a need to do so.

The only con's I can think of, I buy them, and they do tend to pick up debris in the water, but so do knotted leaders. If I'm fishing somewhere that has a lot of algae, or sometimes pollen on the water, I usually will go with a single strand leader. I have yet to encounter a situation where the furled leader was spooking fish. I've spooked them but not because of the leader.

Fact is, there could always be the possibility of what you're using, whether it be the size rod, the leader, the tippet or the fly, to not be perfect for the situation at hand. Much of the fishing we encounter will always result in compromises, because it's not practical to own or carry with us, all the "right" stuff, all the time. Most of us who have been at this for awhile can adjust, and how we do so is most times the best compromise with what we have on hand. Errors we make should become learning experiences, and only result in lost or no fish at all, or perhaps a few lost flies. It's fishing, it's not brain surgery!

It boils down to personal choices, so use what you're happy with, and what works best for you, until you see something that tells you that you need to change.

Regardless of what your buddies are telling you, if you're satisfied with the furled leaders & catching fish using them, then you should go with what works best for you!
A1 post right there! Thanks!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I only use furled leaders, but of course I am a little biased towards them since I own and operate Cutthroat Leader co. Since starting the business I have had literally hundreds of conversations about furled leaders with fellow fly fishers. Some were experienced previously with furled leaders, some knew nothing about them at all. In my experience the guys that use them on a regular basis do so for a multitude of reasons.

1). They are very durable. If you can keep them out of the trees, one leader truly can last months of heavy fishing. (This saves money in the long run)
2). They transfer much more energy compared to that of mono tapered leaders. More energy means, longer casting, better accuracy and better presentations.
3). They are simple to use. No more needing different leaders for different size flies. Just change the tippet to match fly size. The small tippet ring eliminates the need of some knots that are difficult to master. This is very beneficial when a hatch is going off and time is of the essence.
4). Because some furled leaders (made from uni-thread) float so well, I know many guys that use them as a strike indicator as well. Picking up very subtle strikes.
As with many aspects of fly-fishing, some fishers love them, some do not, it is all personal preference.

If any of you have specific questions pertaining to the use of furled leaders, please do not hesitate to either contact me through the Forum or reach me on my personal email. mike@cutthroatleader.com.

We specialize in Dry Fly fishing leaders, but we also carry leaders for nymphing, steel-head (heavy) and Spey.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 11-02-2011, 11:42 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Not to knock furled or mono leaders, but I use a "twisted" mono leader, similar to furled. I learned quite a few years ago to roll my own and have been very pleased with them ever since. I use them for all of my fishing - from spring creeks to nymphing, dry flies and stillwater. The leader provides a nice shock-tippet like addition when you set the hook and I haven't had any issues with them spooking fish because we catch a lot of fish using them. Best of all they turn over like a dream all the time, every time.

Here is a link to my Photobucket site where I have a photo tutorial slide show on how to make them. Might just convert you too Pictures by kglissmeyer - Photobucket

Kelly.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:52 PM

For all the above reasons I like furled. A lot of people just keep telling me it's "old school" and I should switch to tapered leaders. Frankly I much rather just worry about changing tippet and not having to tie two lines together, etc. I am a very impatient fisherman. What I mean by that is, when I have to change a fly (due to fish preference or a tree eating it), I am so antsy to get the fly on and start fishing again that I start making errors in tying knots, etc. It drives me insane!!!! I couldn't imagine trying to tie two lines together under these circumstances.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:04 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised you're being told that furled is old school. Mono tapered leaders have been around almost forever and it seems that furled have really just made their presence known and gained a strong following over the last five years or so. If anything I would call mono tapered leaders old school.

Kelly.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:43 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have a furled leader I use for nymphing from my float tube that is almost 2 years old, still in good shape, and still fishes well. I have another that has been on a year, floating rig for dries and emergers that is still intact and fishes well. I had a tapered mono leader I used because I forgot or couldn't find one of my furled ones (im getting old and forgetfull it seems) and that leader only lasted a few trips, before it had to be replaced, this was after adding new tippet material due to changing flies, etc. I love furled leaders, with tippet rings, add new tippet and your off and fishing. I am about to order a few more from Joni so I can have spares (in the truck and the pack).

I fish furled wet, dry, nymph, etc no issues and I don't think the scare the fish off, of course I usually add a few feet of tippet to mine and I don't fish them with short tippet.

d
Old 11-02-2011, 07:18 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
I'm surprised you're being told that furled is old school. Mono tapered leaders have been around almost forever and it seems that furled have really just made their presence known and gained a strong following over the last five years or so. If anything I would call mono tapered leaders old school.

Kelly.
Kelly, tapered mono leader, whether excruded or knotted has been around for only about 50 years. Furled leaders have been around for centuries. Horsehair or silk were the original materials for leaders in those days. Wonder if hemp was ever used?😱
Today, it's mono, uni thread etc.