The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Red Tippets

It boils down to this: A disappearing color and a disappearing line are not the same thing at all.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:53 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog2421 View Post
No problem. I guess I have my answer. No one has tried Cajun Red for fly tippet yet. Guess I will get sone and give it a whirl. Probably won't work, but if it does it sounds like it will turn the scientific world upside down!
Because it's mainly a mono line for bait casting, spin casting, bait chucking, not fly fishing. What's wrong with using flourocarbon if you want your tippet to "disappear"? It has high strength and little memory.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:01 AM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about

After reading the fine replies above, I doubt I can add any more to the discussion. Some of you may remember back in the late 70's, early 80's a device called the "Color Selector". It was invented and marketed by Dr L Hill from the University of Oklahoma Zoology dept. His studies showed that fish definitely see color. This device supposidly showed the fisherman what colors at certain depth and water clearity fish would react to. This enabled said fisherman to choose the correct color of worm or crank-bait. As mentioned earlier, red light is long and blue light is short wavelengths. More red light from the sun enters water at sunrise and sunset, than does blue light, which is more prevalent at high noon.(why is the setting and rising sun red? and the sky blue). I talked with Dr Hill at a workshop at Lake Texoma one summer and asked him why don't we just tie on a red worm in the AM and PM, and a blue worm at noon? Have I lost track of the original question? To me, fishing at the shallow depths most fly fisherman fish at, red would certainly not be invisable. I use red Amnesia line to tie a loop in the end of my line so as to use loop-to-loop connections and it really shows up to me and I've seen a number of times fish actually following the red section.