The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 08:13 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: A few thoughts on reels- Large, mid and standard arbor-

Jackster,

That's a good advantage for wading rivers and steams. But for me it's a big PITA when fishing shorelines from a small boat. I stay a long ways from the shoreline and putt along in my lttle aluminum boat with a 9.9 hp motor bumping it in and out of gear. Generally, it is all pick up and lay down fishing with an ocassional change of direction false cast.

Even though hardly any false casting is involved, the reels reel in line at an incredible rate both at the backcast stop and forward stop. It bothers me so much, that when I get some "spare" time, I'm going to add an additonal "drag" to stop it.

For casting practice - forget it. I use click and pawl reels for that. So as usual with everything, what can be an advantage in some situations can be a disadvantage in others.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-07-2011, 08:27 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Slapping Reels:
I have a few Okuma SLV reels, and they will spin about 15-20 revolutions when slapped. That's without the drag of any line being out, but they're incredibly smooth in that regard. These reels have received tons of use and abuse, and keep on ticking. Switching back and forth between the large/mid arbor SLV's and my conventional reels does reveal a dramatic difference in retrieval rate when it's time to reel in and move to a different spot.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:17 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I use that slap-to-spin technique mainly in the salt when on a boat. I don't get to the saltwater much but when albie fishing those things can pop up anywhere. Sometimes you're casting 75' when they hit 20' away on the retrieve. The only reel I have that does what you mentioned is a Ross Big Game and you're right, that does bug me. The lamsons and an old Harris Solitude I had allowed the slap with slop (how's that for a catchy slogan?)
An earlier Solitude I used for steeleheading spoiled my on looking for the free spooling feature. Those reels would spin like they were flywheels instead of fly reels.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:07 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Jackster,

I have a Ross BG 5 that does it too, but not to the extent that the Coltons do. I use the Ross primarily for sight fishing so it's not an issue.