The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2007, 11:27 PM

olivebugger is on a distinguished road
Default Big streamers

One day at the local fly shop I picked up the biggest streamer they had, as my freinds suggest what are you going fishing for with that?. It was a 4 or 5 inch jointed all black, for the lack of better words...thing. It also has 3 or 4 red balls on the underbelly. This streamer gets hit when nothing else is. Here is the problem though. I have caught 1 large trout on it and have had many more strikes from the big boys but fail to hook many of them. I have missed alot of smaller trout on the flie but due to the number of strikes I still do ok. The hook percentage is terrible though. Many people say it is to big and that that is simpy the problem but I fail to buy that simple explanation. I feel that if I some how fished it differently those short strikes and the chases could turn into landed fish. Many fish chase and never hit, many just short strike it and some smash the H!$l out it,but few look more than twice. The questions is this large streamer "thing" spooking the holes? Is there something I could be doing wrong that is causing bad hook sets or short strikes? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:39 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Big streamers

When the fish hits do you let them take it, or do you try
to set the hook as soon as you feel something ?

Granted that if they feel the hook sting they will release,
but maybe they are just playing with it to tease you.

Do the steamer have a trailer hook ? Or maybe I should
ask what hook it is tied onto ? Many times I have found
with some of my jointed flies that if I cut-off the back
hook I have fewer hook-ups. So I have not been tying
any of them with cut-off back hooks.

What weight rod are you throwing this monster fly ?

Hope you hook-up with a trophy soon,

Tie One One
Old 05-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Like Tie one on mentioned. A soft rod is hard to get those hook sets at time. Also, has it got a long tail so to speak. Might wanna make it a little shorter. I have had a lot of fish on a long Black bunny leech only to find out they only grabbed the tail and let go the minute they get to the boat.
Stingers are a great help on those also. Here is a stinger I tied using a scud hook on the rear and threaded it through the two stips of bunny with flouro 10lb. Tied it to the streamer hook. They don't let go of this one.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

In addition to the above advise, I would recommend doing a strip strike in addition to setting the hook with the rod. To do so, as you are stripping the fly in, once you feel the fish really on the fly, perform a forceful 8-12" strip stright back with your stripping hand, then raise/swing the rod. This will eliminate the cushion of the fly rod, and set the hook much harder into the fishes jaw.

This is the only way to really set a hook on large bass/redfish/tarpon/etc, and should work much better on those large trout too.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:03 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

I'd go with Joni's stinger hook and Cliff's strip strike to set the hook. Don't tell your friends either what you did or doing. Do both of those and I think you will be landing more fish with it.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 05-21-2007, 02:37 PM

Yoffione is on a distinguished road

I love big streamers, especially articulated ones and I throw them alot looking for big trout. A 6-7" Double, double bunny is my current favorite. When I started concentrating on big streamers I noticed problems similar to the ones that you are having. I also started having alot more chases and foul hookups. The question is why?

I think these fish are sometimes being triggered to strike the fly out of dominance, being territorial, angry or suprised, rather than hitting them out of hunger. Alot of the time the fish will swat at the fly with their body or tail resulting in foul hookups or no hookup at all. I don't think this is a problem, in that I probably would have never known that big fish was there if I had thrown a smaller fly. I am hooking them, but my percentage is lower than normal. My articulated flies do have a stinger or rear hook in them and I do strip strike/ set. Both of those will help.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I think these fish are sometimes being triggered to strike the fly out of dominance, being territorial, angry or suprised, rather than hitting them out of hunger. Alot of the time the fish will swat at the fly with their body or tail resulting in foul hookups or no hookup at all.
When I have observed trout in this mode, they often remind me of the feeding habits of Sharks from the aggressiveness of their behavior. I missed a take yesterday that hit so hard left only 4 rainbow trout fish scales on the barb of the hook. Fast little buggers!!!

I have a fly that is called the Rattlesnake that is setup like the way Joni ties her bunny leech. It seems to help with the take process.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 05-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Another thing, make sure those hooks are sharp. I've found that larger hook sizes are generally less sharp than the smaller ones, adding to the fact that its tougher to get the thicker wire of those larger hooks into the jaw of a fish. This can make a HUGE difference.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Another thing, make sure those hooks are sharp. I've found that larger hook sizes are generally less sharp than the smaller ones, adding to the fact that its tougher to get the thicker wire of those larger hooks into the jaw of a fish. This can make a HUGE difference.

Very Good Point (no pun intended)
Old 06-05-2007, 11:05 PM

ffffg is on a distinguished road

I just entered this problem myself and am surprised to find it current.. I started with a stiff rod this year and had to learn how to set hooks with that pole and had good luck with 6 and 7 wt stiffer type rod searching lots of water.. . Then i went to small flys and used a soft pole as the season progressed... .. Then the hatches really slowed down where i fish, actually went to extreemly small midges probably in the size 30 some days, and the spinner fishermen were doing better than me, so i went to the streamers again. (no i didnt use size 30 flys) ..I used my soft rod, winston number 5 b2x, thinking it would be easier on me and less fatique with the longer days.. I had 6 bites sunday and only hooked two... I was quite upset and started asking some fly fishermen what i was doing wrong.. It mirrors alot of what youve been talking about, but one thing that makes sence keeps comming up with some of the streamer fishermen.. Point the rod at the lure, strip, and when you fell the bite ,set the hook with a heavy continuation of the strip.. What was happening i believe in my instance, is when i set the hook by pulling up on the flexy pole it would not set the hook in the tough jaw. ... Longer hooks to get to the end of the streamer or stingers also seem to be a popular idea also.. dave...