The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 05:33 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough
Default I watched trout feeding for 30 minutes!!!

and then i caught one on my second cast!

here's how it went down:

today on my lunch break, i went to a secret slough... this slough is about 40 yards wide, maybe 100 yards long and probably just 4 feet at its deepest.... there is no current in the slough but it is connected to the river..... a bunch of northern pike inhabit the slough along with a few largemouth bass..... but now that the weather is getting cold, big rainbows have moved in from the river to feed along the edges of the underwater vegetation..... there are patches of underwater weeds that grow in the slough and i witnessed something i've never seen before...

all the rainbows in the slough were big and fat.... i'm guessing they were all over 15 inches because there are still northern pike in there that would probably make a quick meal of any smaller fish.... at one point during my observation, i counted EXACTLY 29 trout in the slough.....

they'd swim right up and slam their bodies against the weeds and wiggle side to side... this then caused all sorts of aquatic insects to disperse into the water.... and the trout would start swimming around and chomping away.... then they'd do all over again.... i sat there in the tall grass and watched this for quite some time while i ate my jimmy johns sandwich.... it was pretty cool to witness.... then after about 30 minutes of observing, i finally tied on a size 14 olive scud and waited.... there was a HUGE hen that was cruising toward one of the patches of weeds... she was over 18" long and shaped like a football.... she was less than 10 yards away... i waited for her to start stirring up the bugs .... then i casted and just the impact of my scud against the surface of the water sent her bolting into the river....

so i waited.... the trout were feeding all over the slough but i wanted one to approach the weeds closest to me.... then along came another rainbow.... not as big as the first but still a beauty.... she started stirring up the weeds.... i started casting.... she stopped and started to feed... she turned her tail toward me .... i dropped my scud about a foot behind her and stripped in the slack... then she turned around, still inhaling the bugs..... i couldnt see my scud nor did i see the take, but i noticed a twitch on the end of my line... i lifted my rod and she hurtled right into the river, sent my click pawl reel screaming as she rode the current downstream with me right behind her..... IT WAS AWESOME!

i netted and measured her... 16.5". i released her and checked my watch. it was time to head back to work.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:42 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: I watched trout feeding for 30 minutes!!!

Now THAT'S a lunch break, I don't care what any body says!
Gary
Old 11-04-2011, 05:56 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Now THAT'S a lunch break, I don't care what any body says!
Gary
thank you.

i couldn't really explain how awesome it was with just a few sentences.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:34 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Wish I could do that during my lunch break.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:39 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Thats about the best lunch break anyone could ask for! Great looking fish!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:11 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

wow great story it makes we want to fish
Old 11-04-2011, 07:37 PM

cpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to behold

Wow, great lunch break!

I have seen LM Bass bump the weeds in a lake I was float tubing. Interesting and productive behavior.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Excellent!

I commend your patience and admire your catch!

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-04-2011, 10:22 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

That's one heck of a lunch break for sure! Plus it was complete with a jimmy john's sammich! That makes it even better! Cool stalk and even better result!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-04-2011, 10:51 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Great fish, and good thinking. We can learn so much more by quietly observing than wading right in with flies a flying.

I watched several landlock salmon once rolling over stones in the river with their noses. I was a teen then and immediately tied on a nymph and was soon hooked up.

I believe they were doing that just to get at the nymphs, but to this day I am not sure if they were making spawning beds or not, because I didn't watch long enough. The one I caught had quite an eroded nose.