The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 06:17 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default synthetics

i made this post in the fly tying board but this board gets more action so im making it again here here it goes
what is the advantage of using various synthetics such as ep or dna in fly tieing?
it would be appreciated if you could specify which synthetics and which flies that are best to use them with.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:24 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: synthetics

With absolutely NO empirical data to support any conclusion I've made about these things, I've had great luck substituting things like UV minnow belly, krystal flash in all its iterations and several other flashy thingies for natural materials in some of the classic streamer patterns. But I do know that I fool a lot of fish with these substitutions. More, I feel, than with the natural materials.

Example: I use UV minnow belly instead of bucktail on Gray Ghosts, and a deep green Krystal flash instead of peacock herl on the same fly.

I'm sold on these substitutions. When I tie for a customer, I always have to ask do they want traditional dressing or mine. My Celtic Beauty, which was successful in its first season beyond my wildest dreams, uses UV minnow belly under claret hen hackle for the throat, and a green/black Krystal flash under it's PB wing. Like I've said, I'm sold.

Gary
Old 11-05-2011, 06:26 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

what about for clouser what would i substitute for bucktail i have used ep fiber but it gets tangles and is not stiff enough
Old 11-05-2011, 06:28 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Dunno. Don't fish Clousers. but I'm sure a batch of folks here do.
Gary
Old 11-05-2011, 06:29 PM

yes and now i must play the waiting game haha and since when am i a senior member have i really been around that long
Old 11-05-2011, 06:37 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

You're probably going to get different opinions about synthetics. I much prefer natural materials for the majority of my tying, because I feel they have better action than most synthetics, but for me the biggest advantage to synthetics is that it allows me to tie flies that are much larger & longer than I could with most natural materials I use. Plus, most of them do not absorb water like natural materials, so they're lighter weight when wet, which makes casting such large flies easier than it would if I just stuck with natural materials.

The biggest problem with the many synthetics, at least for me, has been deciphering which is which. Many are the same material, just sold under different names, so unless I buy them & compare them, it's hard to be sure what I'm getting. For example, I've read that EP fibers & Congo hair are the same material. I've purchased Congo hair, but not EP fibers, so at this point cannot verify what I've read. But if it is, and for the price charged for each brand, I won't be buying any of the EP fibers! (Unless I find it on sale or on Ebay at a good price!)

I've got some different synthetics, and some I don't even know what it is as far as brand, but so far most of what I've tried has been pretty good to tie with!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
what about for clouser what would i substitute for bucktail i have used ep fiber but it gets tangles and is not stiff enough
I have used Troll Hair, the waste end of big fly fiber, odd natural hair, craft fur, clown wig, and most recently glow in the dark spider web from the Halloween supply section of a department store. All kinds of odd stuff. You can get some tangles with some of it, but when I use a spey rod I seem to get far fewer tangles. If your timing is good with a single hand rod I think you get fewer to. Jerking at the ends of the casts (forward and back) I think is what tangles them. Trying to be 'smoother' helps. I din't think there is anything you can't manage to tangle. I get tangles in Bucktail sometimes. You can do EP fiber more like the way Enrico himself ties it. Even though it is not typical clouser tying. That won't tangle. I do a clouser style leach with black marabou. I loop dub everything forward of the bend. Those don't tangle either but you either need to magic marker it to 2 tone with that style or be happy with just one color.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:36 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Congo Hair is NOT the same as EP fibers. It is very similar and a bargain replacement though and well worth the cost savings, but EP fibers are IMHO just a little bit better quality and easier to use. Not enough to make me quit using Congo Hair, but the difference is there.

I have been messing with lots of synthetics and I've tried substituting synthetics for natural materials and it just doesn't always work.

I have made several attempts at Thunder Creek Minnows using both Diamond Hair and Congo Hair. They work well but you need to build up the head with something else.

Clousers with congo hair work pretty good in smaller sizes.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:38 PM

its been recommended that i use synthetics for bend backs but i cant see the logic in that seeing that almost all synthetics are too dense for the hook to actually go through and hook the fish
Old 11-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
... the biggest advantage to synthetics is that it allows me to tie flies that are much larger & longer than I could with most natural materials I use.
I almost forgot but saw this. Icelandic Sheep. Really really long hair. Very easy to tangle but has great action and very long. That spider web stuff I bought has a very EP fiber quality to it. A bit less stiff but a lot like it.