The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2007, 10:19 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default finally! my 1st fish on a fly!

I finally caught stuff on my fly pole! i used a gold hares ear numph and indicator and caught this largemouth bass.(I think thats what it is) I know its not a lunker but it made my day! . I also caught 2 good size bluegills. Man i thought i was hooked before i caught something! I am really hooked now! gonna go fish tommorw again prolly. but use waders this time. today we just casted along the rocks on the bank. keep u posted! here is the pic of my bass!http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...1stflyfish.jpg

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: finally! my 1st fish on a fly!

So you think your hooked. Pretty soon you will want to start tying your own flies and accumulating massive amounts of fly tying gear. After you start casting better you will decide you need a new rod. Then you may even decide to build a rod. Ahh, it's a vicious cycle.

Congrats, on your first fish on the fly. Now it's a way of life.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 05-22-2007, 11:04 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

fly fishing is a more addictive than alcohol and cigarettes lol
I am going today after work keep u posted!! kinda mad tho i still never got my stuff i ordered from big y! I needed that stuff today. they shipped on the 15th! still nothing! hope it comes tommorrow.....

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

George,

Congratulations on you first "Fly Pole" catch. It has been so long since I caught my first fish on a fly rod that I don't remember the first time for sure.

The more you fish the easier it will become to catch them. Make sure that you review in your mind exactly what you were doing when you catch a fish. Each fish you catch is a clue to what the fish are doing at that time of day and with that weather. A fishing log would be a good thing for you to keep. If you fish the same water a lot and keep a log you will see a pattern for the fish during different times of the year.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Congrats on the catch! Frank is absolutely right about learning from how each fish was caught as a way to catch more.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:02 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

George,

mucho cudos, hey its a start, you are now hopelessly addicted.

DarkNight is right you are going to be even more addicted when you catch a fish on a pattern you tied yourself. Hope youre as excited on your 50th fish as you are on your first
Old 05-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
I finally caught stuff on my fly pole! i used a gold hares ear numph and indicator and caught this largemouth bass.(I think thats what it is) I know its not a lunker but it made my day! . I also caught 2 good size bluegills. Man i thought i was hooked before i caught something! I am really hooked now! gonna go fish tommorw again prolly. but use waders this time. today we just casted along the rocks on the bank. keep u posted! here is the pic of my bass!http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...1stflyfish.jpg
Congrats!

I still remember my first. It was a rather small whitefish from the middle Provo River on a section that no longer exists. I love that fish.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:55 PM

pierce652 is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the first catch. Everyone is right that you should stop and think about how you worked the line when the fish came on. Being new I know its easier said than done because of the shock of actually having something on the other end. Well done!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:05 PM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

Congrats! My first fish on the fly was a bass as well. I love trout fishing but the reality is that bass are the most accessible to me on a day to day basis whereas trout require a planned trip.

Cool that you caught him on a nymph. I've never really considered them for approaching bass. Were you fishing still water or a stream/river?
Old 05-23-2007, 09:43 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Congrats! I could tell by your post that even before your first fish, you have a passion for fishing and were determined not to give up. Remember one thing for your years to come, a trophy fish is not nessarly a large fish. A trophy is the fish that made a lasting memory that you hold dear to your heart. It only gets better now that you got the first one under your belt.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*