The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 07:47 PM

FlyByNight is on a distinguished road
Default Float Tube

Any Advice On An Open Front Float Tube Vs Closed. It Seems The Open Version Shold Be Easier To Mount.
Thanks
Old 05-22-2007, 07:55 PM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Float Tube

my preference is open front V boats.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

"V" tubes are the ultimate, then "U" tubes and lastly doughnuts.
I have had all three and the Doughnut is hard to get in and out of. They are more dangerous if they should happen to flip, plus you are sitting much lower which can make casting a little more challenging.
"U" tube is still sitting a little lower and the neoprene seat thing. Both of these can be manuevered easy enough but you are pushing a lot more water specially if there is wind.
"V" tubes, you are sitting much higher (in fact in my Freestyle H3 I am sitting enough out of the water that I can wear hippers).
They track better because thay are more like a toon with two tubes tracking side by side with an arrow to cut through. Easier to cast from.
They will all fold down to nothing except maybe the ones with the styro seat.

There is also the Pontubes which are small metal frames with 4' pontoons like the Venture Outdoors "Echo" and Denny Rickards "Super Cat".

forgot to mention that the "V" boats have MUCH MORE STORAGE!
Click the image to open in full size.
One thing to seriously think about is Urethane bladders over PVC. More money but will last longer and not as effect by temp change.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:36 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

I have a Fish Cat V pontoon and I really like. As you can see in Joni's post, there is extra storage in the front. *L* Joni, Natural Light? *LOL*

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 05-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun View Post
I have a Fish Cat V pontoon and I really like. As you can see in Joni's post, there is extra storage in the front. *L* Joni, Natural Light? *LOL*
Hey, a girls has got to watch her figure!....or at least that of her old man's LOL
Old 05-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYBYNIGHT View Post
Any Advice On An Open Front Float Tube Vs Closed. It Seems The Open Version Shold Be Easier To Mount.
Thanks
The round tube is much harder to enter but they are lighter and easier to back pack. They are not the choice for an older person who might have a balance problem. I used a round tube for many years and never had a problem getting into it. The U boats are easy to enter but I think the V boat is a better choice. With the U and V boat make sure the seat holds the tubes apart or there is a rigid bar across the front to hold the tubes apart. Some of the early U tube designs had a tendency for the tubes to come together when you sat down. The ridged bar solved that problem. The newer designs use the seat to hold the tubes apart.

Tell us what you want to spend and how you are going to use it and I bet we can suggest a good tube for you.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I also recommend a U or V tube, and putting beer that actually tastes good in there with you. Home of New Belgium Brewery, Fat Tire Beer, and the Tour de Fat

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I also recommend a U or V tube, and putting beer that actually tastes good in there with you. Home of New Belgium Brewery, Fat Tire Beer, and the Tour de Fat

Hey, don't dis my beer too much.....how do you think I was able to afford the H3! ;-)
Old 05-25-2007, 04:43 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Hey, don't dis my beer too much.....how do you think I was able to afford the H3! ;-)
I think I'm going to have to side with Big Cliff on this one! *LOL*

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 05-25-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun View Post
I think I'm going to have to side with Big Cliff on this one! *LOL*
Okay in my defence...this is the old man's and he loves to cook and quit smoking...so that explains the Light. If this was my boat it would have a couple bottle of Agavero Tequila....OKAY!? LOL