The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 09:05 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: Ha, Don't we all break our rods at one point in time...

My worst year ever. Broken as follow: 4 weight, 6 weight, and a long bait caster rod in 2011.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:00 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Lets just say, that if I am going on a planned fishing outing I always take two rods with me. I say planned, because I do usually carry a single 4 piece rod in the truck for those days when I can make a quick stop on the way home from work, but if I break it, well, I was probably only going to get to fish an hour or so anyway.

d
Old 11-11-2011, 04:30 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I busted my 4 wt in a canoe going to our next spot. We hit some tricky water and had a tough turn between some logs. The rod was in the canoe but I bumped into it hard rowing and my buddy heard it snap. Lucky I had a second rod on board and switch to that or my last 6 hours would have been a bust.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:13 AM

diamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of light

Read this thread, broke my rod the next day. I was a 2 mile (and 1500' gain of elevation) hike from my car. I fished with the 5' remaining piece and held my reel in my left hand. Still caught 7 .
Old 11-15-2011, 01:44 AM

flymark is on a distinguished road

Until this summer, it'd been ten years since I've broken a fly rod. Then I decided to finally try my hand at building a couple rods myself. I gathered some nice components from around the 'net, but skimped and bought two "bargain" blanks off of eBay. They were less than $20 a pop, billed as an 11' 5 weight, and an 11' 3 weight.

I got my components and built up the first rod - the 11' 5 weight. It broke during it's first test casting session after the epoxy on the wraps was dried. OK, no prob. I had some fiberglass and graphite rod tips laying around from various spin rods I've collected along river & lake banks, and broken rods I collect from family members (figuring that I could always steal the guides off, if nothing else). I found a fiberglass rod section that was a perfect taper match for the broken section. I used a diamond saw and cut a 4" section or so, epoxied it in, then wrapped up the section with thread. Epoxied that.

Next test casting session - SNAP! busted right at the same place. Found another section that fit - re-did the fix.

Test casting after the 2nd fix did OK. Went fishing a few days later with this rod. Finally got a strike and set the hook - SNAP!

Came home and cut the guides off and threw the top 3 sections away. Kept the butt section, because I couldn't bear throwing it away (nice full wells cork, fighting butt, and neat anodized alum reel seat) - but I can't really use it for anything but eye candy, since I used epoxy with a 3500lb breaking strain to attach those components to the crappy blank.

Top that off, I wasn't using a tube for what was then my favorite rod - a sweet little 8' 4 weight WW Grigg that I'd had for years. That rod wound up getting smashed to pieces when a grocery bag shifted on the ride home.

Lessons learned: I will never, ever buy a cheap e-Bay no-name blank again. I will never, ever transport my fly rods without being in their protective tubes again.

I've replaced the broken GOOD rod with a couple new nicer rods, and am scheming at building a rod this winter on an honest to god good blank (thinking Steffen glass).

I've also vowed that, with certain exceptions, I will not buy anymore two-piece rods. 3, 4, and 5 piece rods are much easier to pack down and pack around.