The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 11:02 AM

fishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of light
Default Ha, Don't we all break our rods at one point in time...

I guess the cold weather didn't help.

I was putting together another collection of clips from the last month. I thought this one was so frustratingly familiar. I guess my father had some huge Zonker or giant streamer tied on, and it hit his rod when he was back-casting. He was also two miles down stream from his car.

Sometimes that's all it takes.

Thought you guys would find a laugh in this.

The fields are endless, but the cows never leave the river side, maybe it’s the fresh taste of a cold mountain runoff that keeps them close. Or perhaps they just like watching the fly fisherman cast their way down stream (like souls of fishermen past). A young calf looks at his mother, with a sideways curious expression “I love the feeling of mud running through my hooves.”

http://www.fishalong.com
Old 11-07-2011, 11:11 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ha, Don't we all break our rods at one point in time...

Nice video, how'd the 'fish with a two piece rather than a four piece' work? I've broken three, but all ones I built, painful...
Old 11-07-2011, 12:16 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I wouldn't say anything, guys. This is just the sort of thread guaranteed to be infected by Murphy.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:18 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

good attitude that's for sure! I broke my rod twice in two outings and I was not a happy camper at all
Old 11-07-2011, 12:33 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

I haven't broke a rod yet... (knock on wood) I have just one rod and I would be sadden and depressed more that angry, I think, if I broke it. I've had it since 1985 and I has become sentimental to me more than it's value.
It's a Orvis Green Mountain rod. I think Orvis made them for a short time in the mid 80's.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:40 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latshki View Post
good attitude that's for sure! I broke my rod twice in two outings and I was not a happy camper at all
Got ya beat
Three in a row on the first day of use. One of those on the first cast
Finally ended up just marrying sections of the different rods together for number 4
Old 11-07-2011, 01:48 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
... Finally ended up just marrying sections of the different rods together for number 4
Survival of the fittest!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:03 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Got ya beat
Three in a row on the first day of use. One of those on the first cast
Finally ended up just marrying sections of the different rods together for number 4
Are you saying you bought 3 new rods and broke all 3 in the same day?!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:35 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave5977 View Post
Are you saying you bought 3 new rods and broke all 3 in the same day?!
Built a 4 piece 9wt. Went to Florida with only the one rod (not a fishing trip) broke it on the first cast
When I got home I called for a replacement blank, built that one, broke it on the first day out
Got a third replacement blank, built that one and broke it.... again

It was a bad lot of blanks.... H&H made good by supplying me with plenty of free rod building components for my trouble, but I wasn't into giving it a fourth try so I married the good sections together instead. 7 years later... no problem.
The only issue is that the rod is 1/2 green, 1/2 black
Old 11-08-2011, 01:10 AM

kevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the rough

I broke my first fly rod, on my first long trip from home with it, a 3 hour drive, before I had even made a cast.

I had done a few sessions of fly casting on the local river (a trashy place with few fish) and then had packed up and gone for a trip to a blue ribbon trout area. I was getting better at casting and had resolved to bring only the fly rod to resist the temptation of switching back to spinning gear, thus I had only the one flyrod with me.

It was a long, quiet drive home.