The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2007, 08:48 PM

jayraider is on a distinguished road
Default brown trout question

Are zonkers, sculpins, or any other streamer type fly work well while trying to catch brown trout. If so, can you use them in a river? Any information on what to use for brown trout would be appreciated as well.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:00 AM

troutbum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: brown trout question

Well, I would say you are on the right track with the Sculpin's and Zonker's.Although big brown's can become quite selective,it is my belief that when fishing streamer's,they become more selective to the presentation rather than the pattern.
I find casting upstream on a 45degree angle letting the streamer deaddrift down,to be the best method,when the fly begin's to make it's swing strip it back to you.Be very quiet when approaching and wading a Brown trout stream,as you probaly already know,brown's can be very wise.Also overcast,drizzly day's are far better brown fishing than bright sunny one's.
One last tip,if the water is high and a little stained where you fish(as it is here this time of year)shorten that leader up and cast to the bank's,I mean right to the bank's,All trout will try to find a little break from high fast water,but brown's seem to hold extra close to the bank and as far as they can get into a undercut bank.
Tight Lines
Aaron
Old 05-25-2007, 04:32 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: brown trout question

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum View Post
Well, I would say you are on the right track with the Sculpin's and Zonker's.Although big brown's can become quite selective,it is my belief that when fishing streamer's,they become more selective to the presentation rather than the pattern.
I find casting upstream on a 45degree angle letting the streamer deaddrift down,to be the best method,when the fly begin's to make it's swing strip it back to you.Be very quiet when approaching and wading a Brown trout stream,as you probaly already know,brown's can be very wise.Also overcast,drizzly day's are far better brown fishing than bright sunny one's.
One last tip,if the water is high and a little stained where you fish(as it is here this time of year)shorten that leader up and cast to the bank's,I mean right to the bank's,All trout will try to find a little break from high fast water,but brown's seem to hold extra close to the bank and as far as they can get into a undercut bank.
Tight Lines
Aaron
Good advise. Troutbum is in Nova Scotia and the same holds true in Colorado.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 05-28-2007, 03:10 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Re: brown trout question

Bigger type flies attract bigger fish most of the time.
Several guides I know have given fly tying demos that
I have attended & they will show several flies that are
much bigger than what many would consider as "normal"
trout flies. Just as a side note : bigger type flies need
bigger fly rods. By all means try using them in rivers. I
use some bigger jointed type flies to fish for smallmouth
in rivers near my home.

It never hurts to try,
Tie One On