The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Fly Line dressing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/203008-fly-line-dressing.html)

lthrnk03 11-07-2011 11:30 AM

Fly Line dressing

This is a 2 part question:

1: Are all fly line dressings created equal?

2: Whats your favorite dressing and why?

Jackster 11-07-2011 04:42 PM

Re: Fly Line dressing

Quote:

Originally Posted by lthrnk03 (Post 344026)
This is a 2 part question:

1: Are all fly line dressings created equal?

No, or did you have something specific in mind? Some last, some don't and some are make-shift dressings that some people say can ruin your lines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lthrnk03 (Post 344026)
2: Whats your favorite dressing and why?

1. SA pads when the line allows because it can be used anywhere and whether the line is wet or dry. Also because it creates a new, dry finish on the line.
  2. Rio cleaning pads for the same reasons except I don't think it takes some of the surface material off of the line
  3. SA line dressing because it's slick and easy and can be used on a wet or dry line.
  4. Rio Agent X and Glide dressing because they too make for a durable slickness but need time to kick before providing durabilty and dryness.

cpiercem 11-07-2011 08:45 PM

It seems that the fly lines aren't created equal. It is best to find out what your fly line manufacturer recommends for your line.

Rip Tide 11-08-2011 07:57 AM

Beside the Cortland pads that come with every one of their lines, I use the Accardo Siicone paste.
Why ?
Cuz you can get it at W*lmart ;)

HELLFIGHTER5308 11-25-2011 05:52 PM

I have only used Scientific Anglers fly line dressing. I could not believe the difference. I get much more distance and it is easier to cast.

Hardyreels 11-25-2011 08:44 PM

I'm not up to speed on how many products are available and, or, their composition so I don't know if they are equal.

Cortland pads and Mucilin (red) :icon_roll same stuff I've been cleaning / coating lines with since I got my first line.

Ard

Guest1 11-25-2011 09:56 PM

I have used the SA pads and Line Dressing in the past. I like them. I almost always use wet paper towel to clean lines, then STP Son of a Gun as a dressing now. My friend Bill got me to try Glide line dressing. It seems to last longer than STP Son of a Gun but is not as easy to use. If I had a really long day planned I might use that instead of the Son of Gun. I have all but stopped using the SA stuff. It's OK but I don't think it's as good as the Son of a Gun and I don't think it lasts any longer either.

Overall ease of use, lasting time, slickness and whatnot, I'd have to say my favorite is now the STP Son of a Gun. El Slicko.

rasputinj 11-26-2011 12:09 AM

Because of Diver Dan, I started using STP. It helped a lot and it helped out on Ice building up on guides.

Guest1 11-26-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rasputinj (Post 353297)
Because of Diver Dan, I started using STP. It helped a lot and it helped out on Ice building up on guides.

I'm glad it did. The ice thing was a happy discovery. :thumbsupu To bad I didn't discover it till right before the river froze over.