The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2007, 03:24 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Question Favorite Tandem Rig ?

I believe there was a thread sometime back asking whether
you did or did not use tandem rigs, but here's a spinoff of that
question. What is your favorite trout tandem rig ?

The first fly on my setup would be a Elk Hair Caddis (tied on
a scud type hook) followed by a small Glass Beadhead Midge.
This not only gives a nice floating attractor, but also a larva
just below the surface.

Since I just started to use tandem setups two or so years ago
I seldom will go trout fishing without using one. I am anticipating
using this particular setup on my new Sage FLI 4wt. While also
having my Scott 5wt setup with a duo nymph setup in the drift
boat as well.

What are your setups ?

Tie One On
Old 05-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Favorite Tandem Rig ?

My favorite tandem rig would have to be a size 16 or 18 Stimulator with a ESP trailing behind to match the dominant caddis hatch, size and color-wise. (ESP= Emergent Sparkle Pupa)

Easy trick to help pick a ESP, match the color of the fly to the color of the stream-bed. (the Larvae/Pupae will likely be the same)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:59 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

I fish Tandem rigs most of the time, actually the only times I don't are when I fish certain streamers and sometimes during hatches. I don't have a favorite because conditions change and the bugs that are around are only around for so long then a month or 2 later, something else is working better. I used to get "bug locked" for lack of a better term, now I try to keep an open mind and change up if I'm not catching.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 05-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

right now, for me is a big foam dry (ant, beetle, hopper) and a chironomid or nymph dropper. Softhackle nymphs are the best, but I do like a little weight on the dropper. Either a bead (preferably Tungsten) or tungsten wrapped fly.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:10 AM

madriverbrown is on a distinguished road

Ran into a fellow a week ago fishing a foam ant with a drowned ant as a dropper. He told me this has been a killer combo anywhere he has fished through the summer months. On the other hand I fish either a hares ear with a bead head caddis larva as a dropper or a hares ear with a bead head pheasant tail as a dropper. Both work well for me!
Old 03-29-2008, 04:44 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I've used the tandem Big buoyant dry with a nymph trailer a lot. Read many articles and several post here about it. There is one technique I use here on the snake river I hardly ever hear about. That is to use two dry flies together.

Here on the Snake we get multiple hatches. I like to take a fly like a Hopper or Yellow Stimulator to offer the fish what is always around and what they are accustom to taking. Then 3 to 6 inches behind I double up with a small PMD Parachute extended body, Parachute adams, BWO .....ect. Your possibilities are close to endless. This has proved very effective at bring up trout on inactive days.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures