The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2007, 11:17 AM

Reactor has a spectacular aura aboutReactor has a spectacular aura about
Default Fly Line Repairs

I noticed the other day that my leader caught on the fly line. When I looked closer to release the leader I noticed that it the fly line had a small slice in it. The cut was one third through the line and about half way around. This cut is about three feet back from the tippet. I thought about fletching glue to make the repair. Does anyone have any suggestions for a repair?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Fly Line Repairs

Hi Reactor,

I think you have a problem best solved by replacing the line. If you want to try a repair, this is how I would do it.

I would hold the line so the cut is open. Take a round tooth pick and fill the gap with ZAP-A-GAP. Straighten the line so the gap closes and hold together until the ZAP-A-GAP dries. There may be a little on the line and I would pick it off if it is a lot. Now get a 1/2" long piece of shrink wrap and a heat source like a heat gun. Slide the heat shrink onto the line and move it up close to the cut. Put a very thin coat of super glue over the cut and about 1/8" on each side. Very Quickly slide the heat shrink into place and shrink. You need to work very fast so the heat shrink is in place before the super glue dries. There is another glue that we use to use on fly lines but I can't remember the name right now. It would be better than super glue and if I think of it I will let you know. it was better because you had more work time and it didn't get stiff. I have not done this with super glue but I have done it with this other glue.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:15 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Super glue/Zap a Gap (basically a water proof super glue) would be a quick fix, but it will go hard as a rock making the line stiffer there.
Maybe Knot Sense or Aqua Seal, but I agree it might be time for new line. That is just gonna fill the core with water and the line will sink.
I also bout this stuff called Ply-bond that is rubberie feeling when dry
Three feet is a bit much to cut off specially if it is double taper. You might be okay with Weight Forward, but I would personally bite the bullit.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Super glue/Zap a Gap (basically a water proof super glue) would be a quick fix, but it will go hard as a rock making the line stiffer there.
Maybe Knot Sense or Aqua Seal, but I agree it might be time for new line. That is just gonna fill the core with water and the line will sink.
I also bout this stuff called Ply-bond that is rubberie feeling when dry
Three feet is a bit much to cut off specially if it is double taper. You might be okay with Weight Forward, but I would personally bite the bullit.
Thanks Joni, it was Pliobond that I was trying to think of. There will be a hard spot but only as wide as the cut. I think 3 feet would be too much for even a weight forward. He could take a Mic and measure how long the tip is. On older lines I do remember cutting off 6" to a foot from WF lines but I don't know about a modern line.

Reacter, Cover the cut with Pliobond after it has been glued with ZAP-A-GAP, then the heat shrink. It will be water proof but it will not be a satisfactory fix.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:47 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

I would try Zap a gap. If you don't over do it, you will only have less then 1/16 of an inch that will be hard and I doubt you notice that. If that don't hold, get a new line. I have fished with some really bad Orvis Wonder line that cracked from fishing in the cold and managed. You can still catch fish with a less then perfect line.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 05-29-2007, 07:48 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

How old is your line and what brand? If it's a few years old, you might want to look at the first 20' or so. You could have some cracking there too. Stepping on lines (inadvertantly) getting them caught on rocks, in trees, lawn and driveway casting etc.
It might be time for a new line.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:51 AM

Reactor has a spectacular aura aboutReactor has a spectacular aura about

The line is on the start of its second season, a little over one year old. It's Cortland 555 in sage and green, WF5. It still fishes fine but I wanted to make it thorugh this season with it. I found that this brand is very fragile for such an expensive line.
I do have a tube of plybond on my bench and I will give it a try with the zap a gap.
I am going to hold off on the shrink wrap though.
Thank you for your suggestions.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

What about the Loon UV Knot Sense? I've not used the stuff, but I've been told that it works really well as an adhesive and remains somewhat flexible. Anybody used it?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:55 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
What about the Loon UV Knot Sense? I've not used the stuff, but I've been told that it works really well as an adhesive and remains somewhat flexible. Anybody used it?

I use it a lot for flash back nymphs. I wouldn't use it in this application. It will only cure under UV light. It is to soft and not enough bonding strength I think to fix a cut.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 05-31-2007, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Thanks for the report.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.