The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2007, 07:52 PM

troutbum20 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you use an indicator ?

without an indicator you will miss a lot of strikes. you then should use level mono or close to levelfor a leader and/or your line. you should also slightly lead your fly to detect any strikes. the fish will take in and spit out your fly and your line wont move nor will you feel it
Old 05-31-2007, 08:28 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

The author of this thread used the term bobber...when i used to trout in and on the michigan steams...i never used a bobber...used night crawlers and fly flat fish though..until i discovered the art form of the dry fly and the streamer. i used the same south bend seven foot spinning rod with an old hardy taped on...when an elder on the little manistee suggested that i get a rod to match the reel and i asked how do i know when the streamer is taken? watch the drift and strip...learn to sense and feel...i would not use a bobber ne srike indicator for trout fishing with a fly rod...i would use a bobber or strike indicator for all forms of live bait fishing both salt and fresh...IMHO it is neither easy nor catching it's fly fishing...but i love all forms of fishing from carp on dough balls to tarpon in three foot flats...but what hooked me on fly fishing was the little manistee a long time ago with a16 adams on an old south bend 7' spinning rod with a hardy taped to the grip.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:58 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Bobber, strike/indicator. Who give a **** what it's called. Seems like every forum in the universe has someone who just has to bring that subject up. Big deal. Nymph with what you want to nymph with. Naked, bobber/indicator, large dry. Nobody's business but your own. Fish with what makes your comfortable and confident.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:44 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
The author of this thread used the term bobber...when i used to trout in and on the michigan steams...i never used a bobber...used night crawlers and fly flat fish though..until i discovered the art form of the dry fly and the streamer. i used the same south bend seven foot spinning rod with an old hardy taped on...when an elder on the little manistee suggested that i get a rod to match the reel and i asked how do i know when the streamer is taken? watch the drift and strip...learn to sense and feel...i would not use a bobber ne srike indicator for trout fishing with a fly rod...i would use a bobber or strike indicator for all forms of live bait fishing both salt and fresh...IMHO it is neither easy nor catching it's fly fishing...but i love all forms of fishing from carp on dough balls to tarpon in three foot flats...but what hooked me on fly fishing was the little manistee a long time ago with a16 adams on an old south bend 7' spinning rod with a hardy taped to the grip.

Considering the main diet for Trout is scuds/sow bugs, an indicator is almost a must, not to mention NYMPHS and CHIRONOMIDS.
An indicator will not only let you detect strikes (even on dead drifts) but they will also put the fly in the zone.
I don't know of a fly fishing person out there that doesn't prefer Dry's and Streamer action, but got to look beyond that on a lot of occassions.
Like I said Scuds/sow bugs.....main diet, work anytime, anywhere.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:38 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

ZeroLimit :

Most of the rivers that I frequent here in Michigan do not have
the fast water current like many out west. If I am Nymph fishing
( let's say a nice bead head fly, or a tandem rig ) I usually never
have any trouble hooking-up with fish. If the water is slightly
deeper I may add a split shot. I'll try to review the thread you
mentioned.

Thanks for the input,

Tie One On
Old 06-01-2007, 01:41 PM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response. I'm heading to the Upper Sac for two days next weekend. I'm going to experiment a little and see if I can improve my strike detection capabilities.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:00 PM

jrradke is on a distinguished road

If your line lays out straight and the wind is not blowing hard I would not use a indicator on my line. THEY WORK WELL WHEN THE WIND IS BLOWING AND STRIKES ARE HARD TO DETECT,BUT THEY CAN SOMETIMES BE VERY TROUBLESOME.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

I always use an indicator when I am nymphing. I like to use the very small hard foam ones. They seem very sensitive to me over the large yarn puffs.

I am one that really just likes hooking fish on a fly. Dry, nymph, streamer, whatever. Just like hooking up. Indicators definately increase the hookup rate and also IMO lessen the chance of a bad hookset that is not in the corner of the mouth. The sooner you know that the fish has taken and can set the hook, the less likely you are to get a deep swallow or a spit out that results in a foul hooking on its side or worse, gill plate.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
I always use an indicator when I am nymphing. I like to use the very small hard foam ones. They seem very sensitive to me over the large yarn puffs.

I am one that really just likes hooking fish on a fly. Dry, nymph, streamer, whatever. Just like hooking up. Indicators definately increase the hookup rate and also IMO lessen the chance of a bad hookset that is not in the corner of the mouth. The sooner you know that the fish has taken and can set the hook, the less likely you are to get a deep swallow or a spit out that results in a foul hooking on its side or worse, gill plate.

Very well put Curtis. let's not forget the bio-strike to help get the fly out on windy days or when you need that little extra. ;-)
Old 06-04-2007, 12:35 AM

hanstheflyfisher is on a distinguished road

It all depends on the situation for me. I like using a dry fly with a dropper and the dry fly will act as an indicator. Other times when only fishing with nymphs I like to use brightly colored indicators that tend to be a large. I think it helps with visibility so as soon as you see that go under, rod tip goes up, hopefully I got him.