The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2007, 08:12 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Question Do you use an indicator ?

Not sure if I've ever seen this topic discussed in a thread before on the Forum, so here goes.

1. Do you use a strike indicator when fly fishing ?
2. If you do what type ? Cork, foam, ??
3. If you don't why not ? Do you feel every take ?

I for one typically do not. The only time I have ever used a "bobber" or "indicator" is when I have been Bluegill fishing from a boat. The nymph is on & about 5' or so above that is a high vis painted foam bobber. I typically can feel most takes, but not all takes are hard hits, some are very subtle. I've actually had takes from very small fish that end up flying overhead when I pick up the line to re-cast. I not a super expert, but with the high end graphite rods/fly lines of today that I use it's easier to feel them grab hold.

What are your answers/thoughts ?

Tie One On
Old 05-30-2007, 09:38 PM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you use an indicator ?

Unless the conditions facilitate sight fishing, yeah, pretty much. I try going without sometimes but my hook up rate goes way down. I wish it weren't the case because I hate casting indicator rigs.

I either use yarn or a large dry fly. The dry/dropper rig I don't mind so much since there is always that chance of hooking up on the "indicator".

Question for you though. Since you don't use one much, how do adjust the depth of your bug in the water column to get down to where the fish are?
Old 05-30-2007, 09:48 PM

Tie One On,

Here's a link to a thread a few months ago on preferred indicators. There were some interesting opinions on different indicators for different fishing conditions.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo.../hit-2246.html
Old 05-30-2007, 10:31 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

We can start a new.....LOL
I for the most part like the big Dry as an indicator, but if fishing deep like Chironomids, I like the Styro quick release that Rowely and Dennis Brakke sale.
Lately however, I have been using the Styro eggs with the slit and the tooth pick. Easy to put on or take off without removing flies.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:36 PM

Joni,

Every time I've used the foam balls, the toothpick comes out during the cast and I have no depth control. What am I doing wrong?
Old 05-30-2007, 10:47 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have had the toothpick come out. I try to rollcast with them more and that usually helps.
Another cool indicator is one I got from Orvis. There is a small rubber tube that you put on your line first, then there is a styro ball with a plastic stick (like very heavy mono ) You stick one side of the mono in the rubber tube and the other end of the mono sticks out about a half inch. What is cool is the piece sticking out stands straight up with the fly suspended off the bottom. So you can tell you are not dragging bottom. Plus you just pull the ball out and slide the rubber tube up over the leader/line connection for a no indicator fishing.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:54 PM

That sounds pretty cool as you should also be able to tell when your weight or bug is leading the indicator due to different flow rates at depth (which would tell me to add weight sometimes and/or stop my drift earlier). A couple of the rivers I fish are full of moss and require precise drifts. Assuming that the weight is under the indicator has had me removing moss from flies constantly.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:04 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

"Every nymph needs a pimp" I use Fish Pimp indicators now if I'm nymphing. Sometimes I'll nymph without an indicator.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 05-31-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun View Post
"Every nymph needs a pimp" I use Fish Pimp indicators now if I'm nymphing. Sometimes I'll nymph without an indicator.
Do the Pimps work on hand tied leaders?
Old 05-31-2007, 02:02 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Do the Pimps work on hand tied leaders?
I never tried them on a hand tied leader. I've used them only on tappered leaders. I doubt they will slide over a knot but they slide great on a tapered leader. The rubber band can be a pain sometimes to put back on. Over all, I like them.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*