The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2007, 07:17 AM

Chris Mason is on a distinguished road
Default NEED HELP! Scott A2 vs G2

I am looking to buy a Scott 3wt 8' 4" rod. I am looking at the G2 at cost of $595 and the A2 at a cost of $285. I am currently using a Sage FLi 5wt (very happy with) and also have a Sage GFL 586 DS Graphite II 5wt. Am I going to notice the "performance" difference in the G2 vs the A2? Is the extra $310 worth it? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: NEED HELP! Scott A2 vs G2

Hi gvollmer,

The G2 is a finesse rod with a medium action intended for dry fly fishing with small flies. The A2 is a medium-fast action and would be a bit more of an all around rod than the G2. The difference between lower cost rods and the more expensive ones is usually better hardware, better finish and sometimes better graphite. You will find hard wood inserts in the more expensive rod's reel seats. How you intend to use the rod should impact your decision.

If you are considering the A2 at $285 then you should also look at the St Croix Legend Ultra for $310. They are very good general purpose rods and have a wood insert in the reel seat. I can't recommend one over the other.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:06 AM

First, Thanks for you help. I am used to my Sage Fli 5wt. I have been fishing for about 15 years, so I would consider myself a decent caster. I understand the difference in the better material components and there costs, but for dry fly fishing using a 3 wt rod on a small stream with #14 - #20 drys, my question is am I going to feel the difference by spending the extra $310 to get the G2? or is the technology advanced enough, where it is just about the fancy hard wood, finish etc...?
Old 06-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

gvollmer,

I don't know how I can tell you if any rod is going to be worth $310 more dollars to you. What performance are we going to compare to. Distance, accuracy, or just plain feel in your hand. I just don't know. I will say that the G2 is built to do just exactly the type of fishing you want to do. I assume Sage knows how to make a dry fly rod when they set their mind to it. The A2 is a rod built to save money and is not targeted to be a super dry fly rod. I would have to assume that the G2 would be the better rod for dry fly fishing but I don't know if it is worth more money to you. If you don't get a great satisfaction from using top notch equipment, then I suspect that the G2 will not be worth the extra money. Both rods will catch fish, one with a little more style than the other.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:32 AM

Thanks for your advice. I know it is just a matter of taste and available money. I think I am going to get the G2, so that I don't have any reason to regret it if I don't buy it. I just wanted to make sure it is quality for that rod and not just overpriced.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The G2's are marvelous rods. The A2 would actually probably be a closer match to the Fli, but the G2 is the best dry fly rod I know of. They are quite pretty as well, IMO.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Administrator

gvollmer,

I think you have made a great choice and you will enjoy that rod a lot.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:25 AM

I picked up my G2 4wt 8'4" this week. It is an awsome rod. Have not been able to use it yet, but I can't wait to give it a try next week hopefully. I am in Pittsburgh, PA and have been spending most of my time at the US Open this week. I got a G Loomis Eastfork reel to go with it. Thank for the help in choosing!
Old 06-28-2007, 01:57 PM

I got to use my new Scott G2 4wt this past weekend. Wow, what a nice rod. It is a perfect dry fly rod. Had a great day casting and placing size 18 - 20's right were I wanted to. Thanks for all the help and I would recommend this rod to anyone who is looking for a supreme dry fly rod.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Hi gvollmer,

OK, was it worth the extra $310 to you? It sounds like it was.