The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 10:00 AM

let m go will become famous soon enoughlet m go will become famous soon enough
Default 5wt fly reel

New to the forum. Second year fly fishing. Looking to buy a 5wt fly reel for my Sage 99 5wt rod. Just bought the rod. I fish the North East, not may big trout. Looking to spend $300 -$400 or so. Was looking at the Abel Super 5 N reel. Not sure if I need such a reel. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:40 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: 5wt fly reel

I am a big fan of Bauer reels. They are pretty expensive but i really like the quality. I have a McKenzie reel on my Sage Flight 5wt and think it is a perfect match. They are also made in the state i live in as well. Guess that makes me a bit of a fanboy. Ah well.

Also, hard to go wrong with a Ross reels. The first reel i bought was a Ross. I bought it to replace a chowdered cheapy Redington reel from a rod/reel combo. I really like it. Been a great reel.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:21 AM

jimbojo will become famous soon enoughjimbojo will become famous soon enough

I just picked up my first Allen Reel, I decided to go with the Allan based on all of the positive review I found here on this site. I have not had a chance to fish it yet, but based on the feel out of the box, I am sure it is a performer. These Reels are fully machined with a supe nice drag and at a third of what you are looking to spend you could buy three, hahahha. Seriously check these out before you just go with the name, not that I have anything against Ross (I own one) or Abel (never had one), but in my opinion the Allan holds its own with any of them and their customer service is the best I have ever dealt with. My reel had a slight blemmish when it came in, they sent a new one out that day, no cost, I did not even have to send the old one back, they said we will set that up after I get my new one You just cant beat that.

James
Old 11-13-2011, 11:53 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
I am a big fan of Bauer reels. They are pretty expensive but i really like the quality. I have a McKenzie reel on my Sage Flight 5wt and think it is a perfect match. They are also made in the state i live in as well. Guess that makes me a bit of a fanboy. Ah well.

Also, hard to go wrong with a Ross reels. The first reel i bought was a Ross. I bought it to replace a chowdered cheapy Redington reel from a rod/reel combo. I really like it. Been a great reel.
I'll second the Bauer suggestion, a MSL1 is a sweet 5wt reel. They can be had on ebay for about $210 new. Or if you want to spend more the CFX1 is a nice reel right around $350 I think.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:59 AM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

I would second on checking out the Allen reels. I have a couple setups with the more expensive Ross Evolutions that I love. However, I recently picked up one of the Allen Alpha's for my 5 wt and might prefer it over the Ross's now. I know you mentioned your price range and your looking at higher end reels but in my opinion the Allen's stack up but at a huge discount.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:36 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

You only live once. The Abel 4N looks nice, but the 5N might balance better with the 99's longer length. I can't see putting a bargain reel on a premium rod, but I'm shallow and pretentious. The Abels/Bauers/Ross (USA made)/Galvan reels aren't going to fail when you do get the big one on. I live in Southeast Pennsylvania, and every now and then a monster takes my fly. I plat them off the reel when needed, and don't need a reel that has been reported to fail. I'm not singling out the Allen reels, but they are on the list of reels that have been reported to fail. I lost a nice trout to when the drag on an Orvis Battenkill Barstock froze. The reel was relatively new, and it was mailed back to Orvis pronto. There have been some real bargains on new Abel 4N and 5N reels lately, with a 4N selling for $325 a week ago. Brand new, and from a legit fly shop.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:15 PM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

Abel reels are wonderful, I had one for 17 years. I do not think you can go wrong with Galvan either I have a rush and love it. I just purchased a Ross Evo LT and hope I it works out well.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 11-13-2011, 05:19 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought a Galvan Rush this afternoon. It should be here Wednesday or Thursday. I hate waiting for stuff in the mail...

Abel's machining, fit, and performance make them a cut above for me. There is something very reassuring about fishing with an Abel.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:53 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

If you are looking at an Abel then I doubt you will be romanced much by an Allen. There is certainly nothing wrong with an Allen, they are just not an Abel.

I have a 10ft 5 wt Sage RPL and to it is lashed an Abel Super 5N in HD Brown Trout- see avatar. One of the best, if not THE best reel purchase I have made. Every time I use it I smile....
Old 11-13-2011, 06:43 PM

jimbojo will become famous soon enoughjimbojo will become famous soon enough

I gotta agree with you guys, there is a huge emotional attachment that we make when we purchase items, especially when they are brands that are recognized as "the best". I have seen this alot in the guitar forums I belong to, and guys can get very heated about their equipment choices. If you have a better experience on the stream because your equipment carries a certain brand name; if you feel more confident because you trust that manufacturer; if any of these things makes your fishing experience better, then you should do what makes you happy.

The reason I suggested Allen is that at the $300 price point you are getting the lower end of an Abel. The Allan Trout series are fully machined, light wt reels with a manufacturer that stands behind their product. I think many people believe the Allan is as good a reel as the Ross Evolution at a third the price.

For those reasons if you rally want the Abel to go with your Sage then you should do it. You would have both rod and real by the highest rated manufacturers. Sage had the most world records in fly fishing for rods and Abel has the most for reels. Can't get any better than that.