The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 04:51 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about
Default New Book by John Gierach

Has anyone read No Shortage of good days by John Gierach?
Old 11-13-2011, 05:25 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Book by John Gierach

I read the first couple of chapters, and then skimmed through the rest. John seems to have completely lost that charm I first saw in Trout Bum, and his latest book seems more of a paycheck. It sounds terrible to say that, but his earlier stories really inspired and motivated me. His latest book only has me hoping that I don't become too grumpy as I get older. Fortunately, I know and fish with a few anglers that are much older than Gierach, and they're still having a blast.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:31 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

I liked Trout Bum and his stories inspired me as well. I've met a few older anglers recently who are still having a blast. Thats too bad that his book looks like it was written for a paycheck.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:13 AM

RayMO is on a distinguished road

Just got a used copy and I have only ready the first chapter (short story). I have read almost all of what John has written and I am sure I will like the new stuff, but I don't like the stories that are included in new books from old ones. The very first story is one that was from another one of his books, he may have re-worked it some, but it is still the same story to me.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:35 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I read it. It's not bad, I've read much worse. However, I do agree that his older stuff is better.

I will say the the only reason I bought it was that I managed to get a copy that was signed by both John Gierach and the artist who did the cover (Bob White). I like the work of both individuals so I took the plunge...but not a read deep pool....
Old 11-14-2011, 12:53 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

How do you pronounce his last name? Like "gear-ark?" Always wondered, and never heard it. I am now reading my first book by him, "Even brook trout get the blues." That's all I have to go off of......maybe I should have started with "Trout Bum."

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 11-14-2011, 01:01 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Trout Bum could be the only Gierach book a person needs to read.
Seriously, like my postings here, Gierach gets very repetitive. His books are usually a compilation of essays written for a magazine, or to fill his books.The exceptions are At the Grave of the Unknown Fisherman, his book about bamboo rods, small stream fishing (although there are better books on the topic-Dave Hughes book is very good), and Good Flies. I've read many of Gierach's books, and you often have to skip several "chapters" because they appeared in his other books.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:12 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A year ago I pick up a collection of 30 or so issues of Flyfishing magazine. A Frank Amato publication from the '80s. I believe it was predecessor of Fly Rod and Reel. Anyways, the magazine as a whole was a poor relation compared to Fly Fisherman or American Angler with the exception of the articles by Gierach and there were at least one and sometimes two of those per issue
Better stuff than most of his books
My favorite book of his was Fishing Bamboo, and that's the latest one I own.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:39 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrl0004 View Post
How do you pronounce his last name? Like "gear-ark?" Always wondered, and never heard it. I am now reading my first book by him, "Even brook trout get the blues." That's all I have to go off of......maybe I should have started with "Trout Bum."
I believe it is "GEAR-ack"...at least that's what I say.

I agree with Frank. I have read quite a few of his books, and they are very repetitive. I wouldn't worry about which one you read first, while some are stronger than others they all have the wisdom and wit that makes Gierach famous and lovable, some just more than others. I recall really enjoying "The View from Rat Lake". When he is funny he is really funny.

I get real tired of the "back in the good ole days" stuff too, the "grumpy old man" syndrome when everything used to be better, there were fewer people, no one cared about what you wore...etc.

I know that a lot of us share those feelings and I actually think it is important to read them and be turned off by the arrogance. For me, it reminds to not act like that. I will say that I think that Gierach is good at not being overly grumpy or crusty, but usually I prefer to not read it at all.

I mean what is the point of reading about how much better the sport was 40 years ago? That is gone, I missed it. Should I just mope around and feel bad that the world isn't the same place, that the trout fishing isn't as good now as it was then? Of course not, so what is the point of constantly being told that?
Old 11-14-2011, 05:27 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Not his best, but his worst is better than most. I would agree with DMT, I liked "Rat Lake" the best. milt.