The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 10:51 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about
Default A float tube, would you repair or toss it?

My son found a doughnut shaped float tube on a bank of a river today. I couldn't tell if it was abandoned or if it got away from its owner. It seems to have been caught in a bush. The pockets were empty except for a nearly empty bottle of sunscreen.
The valve stem was broken off of the 9.00 - 20 innertube. The rest of it looks like it's in fairly good shape. The seams and zippers are good. Only some stains and other discolorations are all I could see that tell me it's been used.
It's a Buck's Bag Wrangler. I checked the internet to learn more about it. But since I couldn't find that particular model from Buck's Bag, I am assuming it's a discontinued item.
The innertube seems to be for common truck tire. I'm thinking it shouldn't to hard to replace it. A quick check online shows them for $20 to $25 each. Does that sound right?

Dave
Old 11-14-2011, 12:25 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: A float tube, would you repair or toss it?

Good reputable brand. If the skin; seams; straps; zippers; seat/valves are in good shape I'd replace a bladder.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:51 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd report it to the Sherriff and ask any resorts upstream if they heard of any getting loose. If nobody claims and can ID it by Spring I'd fix it and call it mine.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:57 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

If it has an inner tube, that thing is old. Probably 17th century.
I don't understand someone using an old donut style tube in a river. They were dangerous on stillwater and anyone using one on a river has more than a few screws loose.
Me, I'd toss it.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:37 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

toss it, you can buy the round ones all day brand new for the cost of the innertube, and, as mojo states, no way I would use a round one on the river. A vshaped, in a slow meandering river maybe, but not a round one.

d
Old 11-14-2011, 07:46 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have an old Caddis doughnut and when the time came to replace the tube, I went down to the local tire store. They wanted 20 bucks for the right size tube but the valve stem was like 4" long so I decided to look else-ware.
I ended up buying a tube from a catalog fly shop, the only one I could find that sold replacement tubes.
What I got was the exact same tire tube that I could have bought down the street.
At a much higher mark-up, of course.

I have a second, "found " tube also. I found it washed up in the woods along a river after a spring flood. The only thing in the pockets was a 6 of Bud.
I repaired the torn bladder and keep the tube stashed in the woods near a remote pond. Comes in handy.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:13 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

After having a fish cat for a few years, I'd toss it...having said that, Jimmie is right about Bucks Bags being a good manufacturer. If you think you'd like fishing from it call them...they'll help you if they can. -m
Old 11-14-2011, 01:41 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Mojo's statement about these older doughnut style floats tubes being dangerous worries me. I have visions of capsizing while false casting.
What dangers are you speaking of?
Old 11-14-2011, 01:55 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave5977 View Post
Mojo's statement about these older doughnut style floats tubes being dangerous worries me. I have visions of capsizing while false casting.
What dangers are you speaking of?
They may be dangerous in moving water, but in stillwater you are not going to tip.
Your center of gravity is low. You're sitting below water level. They may be awkward to get in and out of, but it's like fishing sitting in a recliner
Old 11-14-2011, 05:19 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

The only possible difficulties with a round tube are when entering and exiting the water and the crotch strap keeping you in the seat in the rare event of capsizing. Found it on a river uh? Wonder how far downstream the body went? milt.