The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 09:51 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Fishing Report from a NY trip

Over the weekend me and 7 of my friends drove to the Oak Orchard area in search of some big Brown Trout. It turned out to be a weekend to remember. 6 adults and two 15 year olds all fly fishing, sight casting in very clear, shallow pools of small creeks. We took one look at Oak Orchard Creek with the batalions of roe and bobber drifting spin fishers, and promptly ran for the lesser known, smaller creeks. We found plenty of room to fish there, and saw only a handfull of other fishermen in 2-3 miles of creek. Although we drove through blowing snow squals around Buffalo to get there, the weather was fabulous on the creeks. Sunrise Saturday morning set the tone for the day.

Click the image to open in full size.

The creek all to ourselves.

The fish were smaller than some other years, but healthy, quality fish none-the-less. There were some smaller 2-3 pounders, but the majority of the fish were 6-8 pounds. Here is a couple I caught, nobody was close enough with a camera, so I had to take these myself.

My Dad did well....

So did my buddy Jeff....

The boys had a ball. Here is Jason with a good fish....

Here are a few with me in the pics....

Here is the kicker.... 8 guys caught and released over 60 nice Browns in a total of 16 hours of fishing, AND WE MISSED THE RUN!! We only caught the end of the run. The water was very clear which made the trout spooky and very persnickety of the flies they bit. 2X fluoro tippets 9-10 foot leaders, and #14 - #16 white with a red center blood dots ( the true Dan Blood type) were the best combo we found. Tried dozen or so other flies; buggers, nymphs, and minnow type patterns, but they either ignored them or down-right spooked at the sight of them. Smaller tippets may have helped a bit, but 8lb test was the weakest I was willing to dare with so much brush and dead falls in the water. I am still waiting on the pics from the other guys with cameras.....

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

Last edited by mrfzx; 11-14-2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: duplicate picture
Old 11-14-2011, 10:01 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fishing Report from a NY trip

Jeff's fish looks to be the hog of the trip, but looks like a great trip overall! Not bad to not have to brave the masses, I can vouch for the packed nature of Oak Orchard.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-14-2011, 10:10 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, the Oak was a mess. A good map, and buying some locals a frothy beverage at the local watering holes does wonders for knowledge of the area! They say you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar, but I think you can catch more fish with malt and hops!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:33 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

awesome pictures! looks like you all had a blast!
thanks for sharing.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:04 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

Fantastic fish indeed! I love those big kype jaw males, they're the stuff dreams are made of.... well at least mine lol