The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 03:28 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why kill them???

My favorite is watching people drag stringer-chains of dead/dying salmon reminiscent of the crypt keeper to their vehicles, then give me the "oh, but they're going in the smoker!" routine. Oh right, the new as-seen-on-tv smoker that removes the heavy metals and other contaminants! Of course! I always forget about that fictitious device! Catch and release for me, thanks.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-14-2011, 05:01 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

They still make great bait for trapping and bear hunting. Of course, you could just release them to catch them when they are bigger. I honestly don't know. We have lakes up here that you can't keep certain fish at all due to pollution caused by mining; yet, I know people that do.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:34 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

meanwhile we catch and release guys are eating hormone induced shrimp and seafood from Asia....read your labels and reject any fish and seafood from viet nam and asia...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-14-2011, 05:50 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

I don't eat fish...

but every opening of the season our fish are sodomised by bait fisherman, and every year I see people leaving the river bank with stringers of brook trout that would make many of you guys soil your pants, sadly most of these fish are destined to sit in the freezer for months before they are tossed in the garbage.

IMO all native fish should be released, I could only imagine what our water ways would be like if it was this way!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:41 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
meanwhile we catch and release guys are eating hormone induced shrimp and seafood from Asia....read your labels and reject any fish and seafood from viet nam and asia...
Aint that the truth! Any and all fish bought in the market should have a sustainable fisheries act stamp or atleast be caught by Americans. Its ironic American fisherman are constantly regulated off the water while we then buy our seafoods from other nations with practically no regulations in place. Sorry for the hijack.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:57 PM

jimbojo will become famous soon enoughjimbojo will become famous soon enough

I enjoy eating frsh trout, occasionally, but I only keep stockers and just what we will eat. The mercury levels and such in the stocked fish is not bad, I believe our G&F typically states 2 to 3 times a month for Rainbow Trout caught in Northern NM. When fishing the San Juan or other special waters I fish strictly c&r.

Jimbo
Old 11-15-2011, 12:50 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=latshki;347671]I don't eat fish...

but every opening of the season our fish are sodomised by bait fisherman, ...
QUOTE]

WHOA!!!! Not sure how to react to that description.......but sure hope I never witness it!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:18 PM

waterbound is on a distinguished road

Honestly there are a few rare occasions that fish should be killed. The Striped Bass have been over taking prime waters such as Diamond Valley Lake and Castaic Lake. Just like the Asian Carp is spreading north to the Great Lakes. Some fish should be slaughtered in order to make room for NATIVE species.

That doesn't mean you should consume them either. They make great fertilizer for lawns and other ornamental plants.

Personally I have greatly reduced my consumption of caught fish by over 95%. The pollution is so rampant, not to mention shrinking populations of wild fish. No matter how good something tastes I don't think anyone should eat anything into extinction. Our Pacific Salmon still have not recovered from the droughts. I just refuse to further reduce the population.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:51 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Interesting post ....

I just want to report how things are going down here in France: From more than 30 years, you can fish every day, from march 10 to september 20, with 10 fish per day / fisherman, and a ridiculus 8 inch per fish.

No kill sections are rare, and very few palces worth it (my region worth it)

Now, we are like 40% of flyfisherman that only fishing no kill in France but 60% take everything. Please; don't do like us !!!

This is the reason that french flyfishermen gone to other contry like Bosnia, Norway, USA or NZ for fishing.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:03 PM

thechief is on a distinguished road

haha well i live in an area that says barracuda sand bass calico bass and alot more fish are contaminated and to never eat them.. i eat it like crazy i love fish i eat some of it raw SASHIMI! but i am a stick catch and release freshwater fisherman hahha so yeah they might just not care like me