The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 10:15 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Why kill them???

So I am a reader. I like to know the rules and reg's. for the areas I fish....call me crazy. The NY fishing regulations book clearly says that "No consumption" of Lake Ontario trout is recomended. So why did I see many people on Oak Orchard Creek and other tributaries carying limits of large Browns on stringers?

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:33 AM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Why kill them???

Top ten list of possibilities:

10. Most people can't read
9. They didn't know they were trout
8. A tributary is not Lake Ontario, it is a stream dummy!
7. They want to have their entire catch mounted
6. They want to show their buddies what great fishermen they are
5. They want a picture but forgot their camera
4. They want to cut them open to see what they were eating but forgot their knives
3. They want to feed them to their neighbors pit bull
2. The wildlife department only says not to eat them to keep from being sued

And the Number 1 answer you have all been waiting for......

Are

You

Ready?

1. Their kids are really, really hungry!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:42 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog2421 View Post
Top ten list of possibilities:

10. Most people can't read
9. They didn't know they were trout
8. A tributary is not Lake Ontario, it is a stream dummy!
7. They want to have their entire catch mounted
6. They want to show their buddies what great fishermen they are
5. They want a picture but forgot their camera
4. They want to cut them open to see what they were eating but forgot their knives
3. They want to feed them to their neighbors pit bull
2. The wildlife department only says not to eat them to keep from being sued

And the Number 1 answer you have all been waiting for......

Are

You

Ready?

1. Their kids are really, really hungry!

LOL! I particularly liked #8. And the #1 explains the children I teach in school!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Old 11-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just because it says you should not eat them, does not stop people from doing it. We have Lake Sturgeon here. There are 3 paper mills upstream. A legal to keep sturgeon is at least 25 years old. The health department says don't eat big fish, old fish, fatty fish, or bottom feeders. Sturgeon are the whole list. They kill a ton of them. Then there is the faction that thinks a dead fish works better for the "Look at what I caught!" than a photo. We had a kid from up the river get a sturgeon that was in the state record zone. He drove around with it in the back of a truck for a week showing it off and then dumped it in the woods. A picture would have worked better. I guess he and that type never heard of the Al Lindner pose. I worked for the Minnesota DNR for many years and have seen pretty much every screwy thing you can imagine an angler can do. That's one of the main reasons I like being almost the only fly fisherman around here. My boss used to say all the time, "You have to remember that 99% of fisherman are good." It was a delusional comment. Truthfully if you were to say 99% were bad it would be much closer to the truth. Before we got more enforcement up here I had days where the violation rate was as high as 40%. I would bet it would be twice that high if they had no fear of being ticketed. I got to where if I didn't catch them doing something wrong I started to think I either was missing something or didn't get there fast enough. A lot of it has to do with the type of fishing they do also. Here in Minnesota the hardcore Crappie fisherman have a "Find a lake with Crappie, fish it till they are gone. Find a new lake." mentality. Most smaller lakes are good for 2 years tops from when the word gets out till you can't find a Crappie in the place. Walleye fisherman are a close second. Musky fisherman on the other hand are a catch and release group. They tend to carry that attitude over to other species. Interestingly enough, there also is a regional style to breaking laws and general bad behavior. My apologies to Wisconsin, but as an example, 90% of the time you catch somebody trolling with two rods here they are from Wisconsin. I could win money making bets on it. Then there is the bad ethics that does not break the law, and that has a regional trend as well. I can tell you with a pretty amazing accuracy where a person is from based on the lousy thing they are doing. Twin Cities people (not all but most) seem to have the idea somebody else is responsible for taking the trash from where they drop it to the trash can.

Long story short, if you are disgusted by what you are seeing, you would be nauseated by what you are not. Be happy that you fly fish, where you are among the crowd where my bosses " 99% of anglers are good." thing is actually fairly accurate.

I took so long writting this 2 people posted while I was doing it. #3 reminds me of a story a guy from a state I won't name said. He was seriously ticked off we had reduced the limit on Pike from 6 to 3 and put a protected slot of 30 to 40 inches on them. He then tells me he had come up here and kept 6 Pike one time that had a combined weight of 126 pounds. That's a 21 pound average. I asked why he would want 6 fish that big. He replied "Fertilized my garden."

Last edited by Guest1; 11-14-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Add something.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:10 PM

chimborazo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Twin Cities people (not all but most) seem to have the idea somebody else is responsible for taking the trash from where they drop it to the trash can.
I can't tell you how many times around here my fishing trips turn into garbage collection trips with fishing on the side. Pisses me off.

Quote:
I took so long writting this 2 people posted while I was doing it. #3 reminds me of a story a guy from a state I won't name said. He was seriously ticked off we had reduced the limit on Pike from 6 to 3 and put a protected slot of 30 to 40 inches on them. He then tells me he had come up here and kept 6 Pike one time that had a combined weight of 126 pounds. That's a 21 pound average. I asked why he would want 6 fish that big. He replied "Fertilized my garden."
Did he at all consider that perhaps people like him are the reason those regulations are put in place?
Old 11-14-2011, 01:27 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Having lived and grown up in WNY, their recommendation of not consuming fish from either Lake Erie or Lake Ontario is based on the pollution levels of the lake. Its been about 6 years since I moved down south, but last I remember the Dept Of Wildlife recommended eating only 1 fish per year (zero if you were pregnant) from either lake.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk03 View Post
Having lived and grown up in WNY, their recommendation of not consuming fish from either Lake Erie or Lake Ontario is based on the pollution levels of the lake. Its been about 6 years since I moved down south, but last I remember the Dept Of Wildlife recommended eating only 1 fish per year (zero if you were pregnant) from either lake.
For the salmon, they reccommend only one meal per month...I believe, but for the trout, because they live much longer and have more time for the toxins (mainly mercury, lead, cadmium, etc.) to build-up, they recommend "no consumption".

Old 11-14-2011, 02:08 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
For the salmon, they reccommend only one meal per month...I believe, but for the trout, because they live much longer and have more time for the toxins (mainly mercury, lead, cadmium, etc.) to build-up, they recommend "no consumption".
There isn't enough money in the world to get me to eat fish out of either one of those lakes!
Old 11-14-2011, 02:11 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

The Ca DFG is introducing proposed new striper regs in our delta. This would both up the bag and possession limits, AND reduce the minimum size to 12".

There's a lot to say about this, but in the context of this thread...they have told us for years to eat only very small amounts of striper due to the mercury they accumulate. Under these regs the daily take in the delta could be as high as 26 stripers over 12" per day per angler.

Of course, there's a California law against wasting fish...so if you take em, you're saying you'll eat em too.

The world has gone mad.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
The Ca DFG is introducing proposed new striper regs in our delta. This would both up the bag and possession limits, AND reduce the minimum size to 12".

There's a lot to say about this, but in the context of this thread...they have told us for years to eat only very small amounts of striper due to the mercury they accumulate. Under these regs the daily take in the delta could be as high as 26 stripers over 12" per day per angler.

Of course, there's a California law against wasting fish...so if you take em, you're saying you'll eat em too.

The world has gone mad.
One more reason I am a "love em and leave em" kinda guy as opposed to a "hook em and cook em" guy.