The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 04:07 PM

tpcollins is on a distinguished road
Default Is there a tool to tie a small Perfection Loop?

I've learned to tie the Perfection Loop for my loop to loop connections and I'd like to tie really small loops for possible hook attachments. But with arthritis and a numb end on my nose-picker finger, it's hard to try to tie a tiny loop - 3/8" - 1/2" long. I have a Ty-Rite pull the top loop thru the bottom loop but getting the small pieces together between my fingers is a choir.

Is there a tool available to make a small Perfection Loop? A larger one is not an issue, thanks.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:43 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there a tool to tie a small Perfection Loop?

I tie them very small. You can tie it, and then draw the knot tighter without cinching it down, holding the top part of the loop the knot gets smaller. Pull on the tag end, and the running parts of the line, and the knot will get smaller...with some practice. Once you get the knot small enough, push a pair of forceps (or whatever you have) through the top part of the loop and pull everything tight. If the tag end isn't long enough to get a good grip, I like to use a pair of forceps to cinch that down tight, while pulling on the loop.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:23 PM

tpcollins is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is there a tool to tie a small Perfection Loop?

Got it! Pulling on the line end shrinks the loop size, looks great. Thanks.