The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 04:46 PM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Storing rods horizontally?

I have always kept my rods in socks/tubes stored vertically. I would like to build a ceiling mounted rack to store them horizontally. Before I start building, are there any issues with storing rods horizontally?
Old 11-14-2011, 04:58 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice
Default Re: Storing rods horizontally?

I doubt it.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:33 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I'm waiting for someone that knows to post but I would think they should be alright in their cases. I used to have some of mine on pegs horizontally on the wall (not in a case) until I was told they could sag and "set" that way.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:10 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

You shouldn’t have any problems I’ve been storing them both ways for years. My concerns are storing rods in to tight of a tube, I’ve changed all my 1 5/8 inch tubes to 2 inch tubes, this will sound stupid but I just feel the equipment is more comfortable in a larger tube.

Rick
Old 11-14-2011, 06:50 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

There must be a reason that on video's I've seen and at the one main rod factory I toured manufacturers always seem to store the rods and blanks vertically. It would be a shame to learn the hard way why they do that.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:00 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

not sure here, but i would say as long as you have enough support to prevent an bowing in the horizontal position, that it would be fine.
now if you had a rod supported by say a couple nails with no middle support, i could foresee problems
now if you are storing your rods in their tubes, should be fine.

casey

ARFE
Old 11-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
I'm waiting for someone that knows to post but I would think they should be alright in their cases. I used to have some of mine on pegs horizontally on the wall (not in a case) until I was told they could sag and "set" that way.
I am not saying that 'I know' but........... the business of pegs would bother me no matter what the rods were made of. With that said, the only rods that I fret over at all are bamboo. I leave them in their tubes with the caps on unless I have had them is use recently. If that's the case I make sure the corks are dry and I leave the caps off until the contents have acclimated to the relative temp & humidity of the home. They stand in the corner of the loft as I type. I would have no problem storing them (bamboo) in a horizontal rack as you describe, in their tubes along with the graphite rods.

No worries, the biggest thing I've had happen to stored rods was mildew on cork grip because I did not dry the grip and brought the rod inside with cap sealed and left er sit................ Washed the cork dried it out and no harm done.......

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-15-2011, 10:45 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Museums store their incredible rod collections - mostly bamboo - in horizontal racks. Fully supported in tubes or cases, definately.

Note Ard's comments about moisture on cork, etc, well! They are right on the money.
Gary
Old 11-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like wasting time when I go fishing so I have a few rods (with their reels on ready to fish)on angle brackets in my garageso no problems to keep them horizontally.Keep the others at home in tubes...specially my bamboo.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:18 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Besides agreeing that rods should be stored completly clean and dry, I can only comment that I have them stored, in their tubs both ways without experincing any problems. I also have a pair of 9-weights that live, fully rigged, horizontaly on a wooden peg rod rack im our living room in case we see stripers busting while walking the dogs. They spend more time collecting dust than fishing and are not my top-tier rods or reels but have suffered no ill efects that I can determine. However, I was reading a brief rod care essay written by Len Codella now representing Freestone Rods but long involved with fine and classic cane and graphite rods and he writes:

The most common cause of rod damage–bend or broken guides, marred cork–is almost always the result of incorrect use of the rod’s liner and tube. The liner is made to protect the rod sections in dedicated compartments, while the tube is meant to protect the rod during transport only. The liner ties are intended hanging up your rod, out of its tube, during storage. To keep your rod in the best condition we recommend the following:

Store your rod vertically, hanging from the ties, when not in use. This is especially important for bamboo fly rods; moisture trapped inside a storage tube can damage your rod.