The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 01:10 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default storing gear for the winter?

do yall do anything special with your gear before you put it up? i have it all stored up but im wondering if i should do anything first. ive pulled the drag off of all my reels but maybe i should clean the lines? anything with the poles? flies, net etc?
Old 11-15-2011, 01:21 PM

dusty h is on a distinguished road
Default Re: storing gear for the winter?

I'd say pull it all back out and go fishing! The fish are still there.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:25 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I'm a big fan of taking my fly lines off the reels, give them a 4-star cleaning and coating with Rio's coating, and looping them back up loosely and storing them in the dark in heavy duty ziplock bags, marked with a sharpie as to manufacturer and line weight designation. I have loops on the front end of all my lines, so its unnecessary to note which end attaches to backing. Were that a concern, I'd just snip off a little backing when I took the line off the spool to I.D. that end.
Gary
Old 11-15-2011, 01:34 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty h View Post
I'd say pull it all back out and go fishing! The fish are still there.
ill be working 70 hour weeks on the mountain and any free time i have will be spent snowboarding. fish will still be there in march when night riding stops
Old 11-15-2011, 01:42 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

during the winter, i have my fishing gear ready for above freezing temps.... if it's 34F and not snowing too terribly, i'm going fishing.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:11 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I don't put my stuff away, but do a clean up twice/yr. Once now (start of steelie season) and again in May, for the start of trouty time. I do clean and dress the last 30-40 feet of line on the water if it's not floating the way I like...

Lines: I just get a large bowl and fill it with warm soapy water. I'll strip all the line off a reel into the water and slosh it around a while, then rinse and dry the line with a soft cloth. The I treat the line with dresssing, wipe it again and wind it back on the reel.

Reels I open up, lub, clean and always try to store them with the drag fully released.

Rods I wipe down with a soapy rag and dry.

I have a dozen rods/reels or so...it's a 3 fat tire task.

-Mike
Old 11-15-2011, 03:42 PM

dusty h is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexUte Fly View Post
ill be working 70 hour weeks on the mountain and any free time i have will be spent snowboarding. fish will still be there in march when night riding stops
I hear you on that. I normally put in 50+ days on the mountain a year but i still manage to squeeze a few fly or ice fishing days in during the winter.