The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tip for fishing in the cold.

I never use anything to slick my spey lines but STP Son of a Gun. I have been fishing every night lately in temperatures that got well below freezing. I quit one night when my guides were freezing up in a big way. My line was also pretty dirty. I cleaned my line and gave it the El Slicko (STP Son of a Gun) treatment. I quit fishing last night and the temp was in the low 20's. I had beads of ice frozen all over my rod, the top 3 or 4 inches of my grip was ice covered. I had to hold my ferrules in my mouth to remove the ice and melt the wax enough to break the rod down. Here's the interesting part. Not a bit of ice on the guides.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:16 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tip for fishing in the cold.

Great tip, Dan. I was out last week at sunrise one morning and it was cold! High teens to 20 maybe. Anyway, it took about 8 minutes before our lines were frozen in place to the guides.

I said to my buddy, there must be something you can put on guides to keep them free of ice...but neither of us knew.

Please clarify, do you spray the guides or your line? Or both? Do you think Armor All would work?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't put anything on the guides. I clean the lines by running them through a wet paper towel till I stop getting crud off of them. I let them dry for a bit and then run them though a paper towel with STP Son of a Gun sprayed on it. I run it through once, respray and run it back through again. I let it dry for a bit and reel it back in. It's a great line slick but I am really happy about the de-icing side effect.

By the way, the only product like this I trust is this. Armor All and some products can react badly with the line and cause cracks.

I'll bet if you wiped a paper towel with it on the guides it probably would not hurt. I have not tried it yet.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:55 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I'll have to remember this, thanks for the tip.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:59 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Airflo lines recommend stp son of gun for their lines.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
Airflo lines recommend stp son of gun for their lines.
That's the only line slick I have ever used on my Airflo Spey line.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:40 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Dan,

Which STP son of a gun do you use? The tire care or the protectant? There may be more too.

Posted this in the wrong thread already.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2011, 08:10 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Will definitely have to get me some STP for the winter...Thanks Dan!

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-16-2011, 09:01 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Er...

Keep Ice Out Of Your Rod Guides TheRockyRiver.com

...it works...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 11-16-2011, 09:19 AM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough

Thats good to know Dan! I've had to remove ice from the guides every few casts for the last month or so. I start using shorter rods this time of year to make ice removal easier while wading and prevent my reel from taking a dunk.