The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 10:33 AM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: It looks like it's over till spring.

Beautiful walleye Dan! Sounds like a great season with the bigger fish. The lakes here are iced up too. Still hitting the streams for a couple more weeks.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Dan I understand you must be sad when the season is over...I would be deeply depressed if I had to stop fishing for months...but you'll have more time to come here and chat with friendsneedless to say big fish!...you only catch big ones
Old 11-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
I'll fish in memory of you, lucky me being way south from you.
Thanks, I'm glad somebody can do it. I may head South for a bit this winter as well. I'm becoming less enthusiastic with winter every year. I'm definately heading West and visit family in WY and MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
Sorry to hear your warm season is coming to an end,...

I don't ice fish anymore, fell through some ice many years ago, and now just can't get comfortable on the ice no matter how hard I try.
d
Thanks. If you ever make it up this way in the winter I'll bet you would be comfortable on the ice. We have big heated houses. Satellite dishes on many of them. I've been in ice houses that are nicer than my living room. Ice gets thick enough to land a 747 on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Dan,

Which STP son of a gun do you use? The tire care or the protectant? There may be more too.

Thanks
I have the big bottle on the right. I love the stuff. I loved it before I accidentally discovered the anti ice side effect.
STP Fuel & Oil Additives - Choose The Best Fuel Additive For Your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
Greetings from Boulder,CO!
I found a local lake that has walleye, I tried stripping streamers along a rocky shore one very windy day. This seem like nice large fish to fight with a fly rod... Mind if I ask what you use for Walleye? I'm guessing large/medium sized streamers still. Do walleye hang in the shallows? Deep? Rocks, grass? got some google searching to do, but I am looking forward to fishing for Walleye in Colorado at some point. Kind of new here, so I apologize If I have just totally missed previous posts on 'Walleye on the fly'...

Anyway, if you are dying to fish, and your local water is frozen, maybe a trip to sunny CO could cure your blues.
Hi tbblom! Welcome to the forum. I grew up in Colorado and my Great Grandmother lived in Boulder. I fished a lot of the water around there when I was younger. She made it to 101.

I use Clousers a great deal of the time. They do like rocks but I get them out over mud to. Believe it or not, we got them on the surface this Fall. I used a fly that I will post. I probably should do a post on what I figured out on Walleye so far as there does not seem to be a whole lot on fly fishing for them, and a good deal of what is, seems to be various shades of wrong. I'll do a thread on it. Your question convinced me to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
...you only catch big ones
Oh I get small ones once in a while, I just keep it secret.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I feel your pain, yesterday's high here at home was 10* F. When I drove to town in the morning the truck said it was -7........................ I've been done for 2 weeks and the last day I went all I caught were chunks of ice

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. My last night was an hour and a half of freezing my waders off and not a bite. This fish in the picture and one other were two nights before.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I feel your pain, yesterday's high here at home was 10* F. When I drove to town in the morning the truck said it was -7........................ I've been done for 2 weeks and the last day I went all I caught were chunks of ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Yup. My last night was an hour and a half of freezing my waders off and not a bite. This fish in the picture and one other were two nights before.
Hey guys...will think about you and catch some fish for you
Ard did your truck say hello when you got into it this morning?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:11 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Not a bad way to end the season, Dan, but sad to see the season come to an early end for another one of our members. Look forward to seeing some monsters hauled from the ice, however! I won't scoff that it didn't come from a fly Though the potential casting practice of trying to put an overhead cast through a small hole in the ice is interesting.... great way to break a rod though, I would assume.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...