The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default It looks like it's over till spring.

I have been toughing it out in the dark and cold for a few weeks now. We are not looking like it is going to get above freezing again likely till spring. So the next time I go fishing is likely going to involve my 10" Jiffy Ice Auger. It was a seriously tough Fall. The Walleye did nothing they normally do. In the past the darn things had at least some sort of pattern they followed but if there was one this Fall, I never figured it out. The fish we did catch were all big. I don't think me or my fishing buddy ever got a Walleye shorter than 24" the whole Fall. We almost never do get small fish fly fishing for Walleye. It's not a numbers style but the size makes up for less fish. Here is my last fish of the season.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:33 PM

ted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to all
Default Re: It looks like it's over till spring.

That's some good stuff Dan! You have possibly the best ice fishing in the state, maybe the entire country, right out your back door, so you don't need to be too upset about trading in the long rod for the short one.

Luckily in the south here, we're still forecasting in the low 40's. I wouldn't be surprised to see 50 one more time.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:54 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

It was 83 here last Friday, and am looking forward to some cooler weather.

Dave
Old 11-15-2011, 10:27 PM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

I am heading out to Hot Creek and Upper Owens to fish while I am in Mammoth to snowboard. Luckily on left coast I will fish for trout throughout winter. Great walleye though.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 11-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
You have possibly the best ice fishing in the state, maybe the entire country, right out your back door.
Yes we do. I think I'll try and do a bunch for Pike this winter. They are are fun and big here.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:56 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I'll fish in memory of you, lucky me being way south from you. I just fished this weekend.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:59 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

Beautiful fish, Soon will be trading the long pole for the short pole here as well.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:02 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hear your warm season is coming to an end, seems like float tubing the lake days may be coming to an end for me as well. For most of the lakes I fish up here they don't plow the mountain roads past a certain point. I have a jeep, but even with that they sometimes close access to anything bigger than a snowmobile. I thought about getting one, but, never pull the trigger.

Fortunately for me the Truckee usually does not freeze over, and with the kayakers and tubers off the river, now is a good time to work on the winter river skills. Dont' usually catch a lot of fish during the winter, but do usually catch some, and they are generally the big hungry ones.

I don't ice fish anymore, fell through some ice many years ago, and now just can't get comfortable on the ice no matter how hard I try. Hope you have great luck this year and how about a little info on how you fight those monster pike through a hole in the ice.

d
Old 11-16-2011, 07:37 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Dan,

Which STP son of a gun do you use? The tire care or the protectant? There may be more too.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2011, 09:24 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Greetings from Boulder,CO!
Colorado keeps giving these sunny windy windows of decent fishing between spats of snow and cold. If you can cast in the wind and don't mind getting cold the fish seem pretty aggressive, and the lack of crowds has the fish less spooked.
Last week in Boulder, 16" brown and many smaller fish including rainbows.
Friday night tailwater fishing, 24" brown (estimate 8 lbs. it was a fatty!) and too many 15-19"ers to count
Sunday in a narrow canyon on the front range, 16" bow and many others.
Tuesday at some bass/carp ponds East of Boulder, 15" largemouth on a crayfish pattern.

To the OP: I found a local lake that has walleye, I tried stripping streamers along a rocky shore one very windy day. This seem like nice large fish to fight with a fly rod... Mind if I ask what you use for Walleye? I'm guessing large/medium sized streamers still. Do walleye hang in the shallows? Deep? Rocks, grass? got some google searching to do, but I am looking forward to fishing for Walleye in Colorado at some point. Kind of new here, so I apologize If I have just totally missed previous posts on 'Walleye on the fly'...

Anyway, if you are dying to fish, and your local water is frozen, maybe a trip to sunny CO could cure your blues.