The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2007, 09:12 PM

tightlines40 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Smallmouth on a surface fly ?

Bass eat like I do. MOST days if it looks like food I'll eat it. But there are day when I crave one thing or another. So if most days there just happy to eat, then most days you can get away with a stouter leader. It is only those rarer days that you may have to go with a finer tippet. So for me the leader of choice is a stout butt section ( I use about 4 feet of 30 or 40 pound with a loop to loop connection) then a stiff 20 pound (maxima) mid section 3 to 4 feet, then a tippet of 6 to 14 pound test. With lengths a short a 2 feet or as long a 8 feet. mostly about 10 pound I would say. Now I know a lot of guys who get nuts about leader formulas and measuring every section. I don't see the need ( for bass any how) with this set up you can fish all year and only change the tippet as you see fit. Smaller fly or a sinking fly, use a lighter line ( sinks faster and better action) with top water of fast moving minnow fly I use a stiffer tippet more for turn over than any thing else. The only exeption I see in river fishing ( I know that is what the topic is about). In a river I tend to fish slightly lighter tippet, I should say clear water, up here all of our rivers ar quite clear. Yet even in river if I am targeting bass I would fish no lighter than 8 pound. Unless I was matching a hatch thet may require a finer tippet. Those guys who use the lightest line they can just to say they did it, gives a bad name for the rest of us ff out there. I can see for a line class record but just to spout off at how good you are and at the risk of killing the fish ( mabye long after it swims away after you let him go). I say use as heavy as you can with out hindering your catch rate. esp. if you plan on letting them go.

Well sorry for the rant and good luck,'
btw are we the only guys who fish fore bass on this board?
where is everyone???
Old 06-25-2007, 09:39 PM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road

I've caught small mouths on tan foam hoppers. They see it, stop, and strike.
And even caught on beadhead red yuk bugs, which was a particularly nice sized one of 10 inches. Big for the water I fish.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:19 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Yes..yesterday,went fresh water flyfishing for first time in 15 years...indiana river with smallmouth...caught them on classic popper with rubber legs and a frequently dressed DB diver...
Old 06-28-2007, 08:16 AM

waterman is on a distinguished road

Thanks tightlines40 great information. I used to use 8 to 10# mono for top water bass with great success.
I think you're right, it's a rare occasion when they are leader shy. Bass are very trigger response oriented, sometimes I'm sure they just can't help it.

Quote:
btw are we the only guys who fish fore bass on this board?
where is everyone???
I don't know but pound for pound Smallies are a great fun. Summertime, wet wading, smallmouth bass!!
Oh yeah!
Old 06-28-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishplease View Post
I've caught small mouths on tan foam hoppers. They see it, stop, and strike.
And even caught on beadhead red yuk bugs, which was a particularly nice sized one of 10 inches. Big for the water I fish.
Inquiring minds want to know... What size hoppers were you using?
Old 06-28-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
Yes..yesterday,went fresh water flyfishing for first time in 15 years...indiana river with smallmouth...caught them on classic popper with rubber legs and a frequently dressed DB diver...
The last time out my friend tied on a DB Diver in the last couple hours, caught the fish of the day on it.
Still small for the water but... I was wishing I had one to tie on. I believe the DB diver is one of Dave Whitlock's favorite small mouth fly.

We may be on the hunt for some smallies this weekend if the rain lets up.