The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 11:09 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Loop to Loop connections

Does anyone make their own loop to loop connectors? If so...how's it done?
Old 11-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Loop to Loop connections

Hi,

For connecting mono to mono I use a small Perfection Loop knot, and for connecting to the fly line (if the line has a welded loop) I use what is demonstrated in this thread. http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...spey-line.html

Hope that helps,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-20-2011, 12:56 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Ard,

Thanks for the reply. I am wondering now.... The loop end of my fly line has taken quite a beating(practicing in less than ideal locations) Could I take a section of braided mono(spiderwire or something similiar) make a perfection loop and then nail knot it to the fly line? Or maybe make a twisted leader(super short) and nail knot it the end of the fly line?

I have some of the Cortlands Loop to leader connectors on the way to my house....but the reviews i have read on them are kinda iffy....
Old 11-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I just did one and took photos. WJC sent me some braided mono to add running line to my Airflo spey line. About a week and a half ago I was trying to practice overhead casting my 15' 10/11 wt spey rod. I had recently put a new braided loop connector on it. I blew the end open and sent mt fly and leader off into who knows where. I used the braided mono WJC sent me to make a new one that doubles back on itself much farther and is also longer so I don't blow it out again. I even took photos while I did it. Tonight I'll reduce the photos, host them someplace and post it.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:50 PM

So this is what I have come up with, let me know what you think.

I am also a bow hunter, so I have serving material laying around all the time. I am not sure what pound test it would equate to, but its braided and stout enough to handle the abuse of the vibrations of a bow string.

My first thought was that since its braided once it gets wet it will start to sink. I remedied this(I hope) by waxing the bejeezus out of the serving material. I think that this will make it float.

I took a section...about 24" to start with, folded it in half and then tied a perfection loop. With the extra long tags I started twisting them around each other to make about 6 inches of twisted section.

Then I tied a simple overhand knot finish it off. I cut one of the tags off and melted the end. With the remaining tag end I tied a nail knot.

I hope this makes sense. I will make another one tonight and try to post some pics of it later.

- Ian
Old 11-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have used lengths of 30 pound Amnesia with a perfection loop nail knotted to lines for years, this will provide a good butt to connect other materials to. The Cortland braided loops are another means to make a loop connector on the end of the line. If they are properly fitted to the line and then the little shrink tube applied these seem fine unless you go after big game fish. Like almost and 'end of line' connection they will eventually develop a break at the point where the butt connection and fly line meet, this will give a hinge effect because of the broken line coating. The hinge was never something I felt was messing with my cast but it does tend to make you think that it may one day break.

I used the Cortland braided loops for years on 5, 6, and 7, weight lines but found them a little heavy for my 3 weight rod & line, not heavy to cast but sometimes the connection would land with a splat. You can control the 'splat' effect with a softer drop of the cast and so they will work even on a light line. When using nail knotted butts, they too eventually develop a hinge at the connection point and then make you think they may pull loose from the line. I guess it comes down to experimenting with different connections and then using what ever you like best.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-21-2011, 04:35 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Ian, here is a link to another loop thread on this website with a video of how to make your own chinese squeeze knotless loops.

Loop the Loop - which loop and why?

It will bring you to the post with a video link at the bottom of the post showing how to make them. Few people fishing the salt use the bought ones because they are too short and are sometimes not made properly.

You can use that identical technique with the braided mono loop to make a knotless loop in backing such as Cortland Micro, any trolling braid, or hollow spectra.

Here is a link to a better (I think) way to actually connect a backing loop to either a factory welded running line loop or one made by you. It is illustrated with three pictures. The second one clearly shows how the connection should look prior to clinching it up.

Loop to Loop connection

The third photo shows how, after cinching up the connection, the connection stays very small even without tension on it. It will glide through the guides much better than a standard connection - especially noticeable when used on a welded loop running line. It also will never flop over and wind up in a position to cut through the fly line loop.

When making a loop, you can size the loop after turning it inside out and the tag end will remain the same length. If the tag end changes length when resizing the loop, you started from the wrong end, and the loop will, sooner or later, fall apart - often just casting with it.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-25-2011, 01:16 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The first picture is from when I went to the park and was goofing around overhead casting my 15' 10/11 wt. I snapped the end out of a factory made braided loop and sent my fly and a 15' leader into somewhere in downtown Baudette.
Click the image to open in full size.
I decided to make a new one with stuff WJC was kind enough to send me. Thanks again by the way. The tool is very thin wire doubled in half. I think the photos are pretty self explanatory.
This is thinner stuff than what I used on the spey rod but the principle is the same.
You can see that the one I made has much more doubled over than the factory version which failed.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:14 PM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

I think the method that Diver Dan posted above is probably the best method. I will say that I just had a couple hundred yards of dacron added to my old SA/Hardy reel and the shop owner put a large loop in the dacron for the fly line connector and he used a Bimini to create the loop. It appears to be a very secure method also.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
I think the method that Diver Dan posted above is probably the best method.
Actually, WJC sent me a link to a video with a better method.