The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 08:54 AM

RabbiEE is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Fishing and Father's Day

From my article this week:

As far back as I can remember, my dad and I went fishing together. Once every few weeks in the summer months, we would get up before sunrise. My dad and I would drive the hour or so to Busch’s Wildlife, a fishing preserve near my hometown of St. Louis Missouri. We would buy worms in a white Styrofoam cup, spherical bobbers which were half white and half read, and lead weights and sharp hooks. After a short drive to one of the numbered lakes, I would take out my Zebco fishing rod, put on the bobber and worm, and cast out from the dock.

My father and I probably went to Busch’s Wildlife a couple dozen times in my childhood, and I cannot remember catching that many fish. Maybe we caught a six inch bass a few times. We were not very good fishermen. But even if the fishing was not so successful, something else important happened on those early morning fishing trips, I was able to spend time with my dad.

My fishing trips with my father might best be understood by that famous proverb attributed to the Chinese: “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” My father taught me how to fish, but I did not learn enough to feed myself. A few six inch bass will only go so far! However, those hours spent fishing with my dad provided me with sustenance in a different sort of way. It was my relationship with my dad that grew and developed on those fishing trips. By taking me fishing, my dad did feed me for life, not with fish, but with memories, advice and love that I will carry with me all the rest of my days.

Father’s Day is this Sunday. I am going to give my dad a call and remind him of our fishing trips to Busch’s Wildlife together. I might be obnoxious and tell him how much better of a fisherman I am now that I use a fly rod. I will also remember to thank him for those precious mornings we spent together casting worms into the clear Missouri lakes.

What are your favorite stories of fishing with your father?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:45 AM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly Fishing and Father's Day

Rab, Fathers do appreciate and measure their sucess raising children by those calls received on fathers day.. Much like your dad, My dad took me fishing in those young years as well as camping..My son now 22 was raised the same way and not only does he call but writes a nice card on Fathers day. We fished as he grew up but I bought him a fly rod this year as he works two weeks out of each month in colorado and I am hoping he is able to make a few of those beautiful mountain steams that I very seldom get to visit (I live in S.E. Oklahoma)...Teach a young man to fish and he will stay out of trouble, make his daddy proud and be productive in today society. MikeLove
Old 06-13-2007, 10:46 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly Fishing and Father's Day

As you did I spent many, many, many hours out fishing
with my Father. I think of those times very often, in fact every
time I gather my equipment to go to the river I think of
gathering the stuff together & heading out. My Father &
Mother are both gone now, but like you, my memories will
always be a reminder. He taught me both spinning/casting
as well as fly fishing. We mostly fly fished for Bluegill from
the boat. I have taken it one step more with river fishing,
both wading & from a drift boat. Part of my basement/Man
Room is a setup as a tribute to both of my parents, because
I would not have what I have without them as my guides.

Make sure to pass on your knowledge as I have to my daughters,

Always in the Water,
Tie One On