The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 02:47 PM

cidme is on a distinguished road
Default Common Cents system, who's using it?

I have tested a few rods with this system and most were close or within a line weight, but and 8wt rod I tested is turning out to be a 10wt according to the scale.

Is anyone using this method to determine proper line weight? What kind of results are you seeing if so?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2010, 06:41 PM

cketh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Common Cents system, who's using it?

I just get a line that is the stated weight, go home and put it on, cast in the yard, return/exchange it if it casts poorly.

-from a sign in my Great-grandfather's general store
Old 06-28-2010, 07:08 PM

So you have not used the method I refered to?
Old 06-28-2010, 07:14 PM

cketh is on a distinguished road

Nope, just doesn't seem necessary.

-from a sign in my Great-grandfather's general store
Old 06-28-2010, 08:03 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I have used an existing CCS database put together by volunteers (like wikapedia) to narrow down rods I wanted to try out for a certain line weight.
Sexyloops Rod Database

So actually, I guess I am using it to determine what line the rod uses - I am just doing it in reverse - picking the line weight first and then selecting the rod afterwards.

Out of curiosity, are you doing the bag of pennies yourself after getting the rod?

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 06-28-2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Afterthought in red
Old 06-28-2010, 08:11 PM

Yes I already had the rods and I tested them with the bag of pennies. I have TFO professional 5wt that I tested and with the pennies it is more like a 6wt so I bought a new 6wt line to try and it felt alot better to me. But I have this 8wt that by the penny scale shows to be a 10wt that just seems like a huge jump.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:17 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

I started the trial and error method, using stated line on some, uplining some and going down 1-2 sizes on one. The common cents pretty much confirmed what trial and error arrived at. I don't believe it is fool proof but seems like a good check. Since there are no fly shops in my area everything is mail order so I will use it on new rods to give me a starting point.

It is a pain finding a way to get the rod level and secure. If there is any play in the grip the readings are not consistant, but if you clamp too tight the cork gets dented. Any tips out there other than stacking books? I'm thinking of some sort of padded u-clamp.

Rich
Old 06-28-2010, 10:14 PM

yeah it is a pain, stacking books and finding something to hold it down. I just set up and test a few times to see if the readings are consistent.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:05 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

If increasing the line weight to a six worked with the 5 wt for you, then you might want try a 10 wt on the 8wt as well.

I bought 3 rods in the last year or so, a 5 7 and 8 wt for an average manufacturers line rating of 6.66. But the average CCS rating for those same wts and models was 8.91. More than 2 line weights each heavier than the mfg.'s ratings.

But that is not surprising, since my main criteria for buyng a rod is light wt, hight estimated rod number and a large action angle for lighter lines. With lighter lines I usually throw lighter flies and like to be able to "tip cast" short distances and carry a lot of line for long distances. That combination works the best for me.

For heavier lines, 9wt and up I throw mostly big weighted flies, and like a lower action angle with not quite so high an estimated rod number for the line I am using. This means they don't have so much "tip action" and bend deeper into the rod with the same percentage load than what the faster- actioned, higher ERN rods do.

The truth of the matter is that to do anything in fly fishing requires experience and trial and error, and nobody can tell you what line fits what rod for you. And the line that fits a certain rod for you today may well be two line sizes two big in 6 years. Or a taper that feels perfect today may not in 2 years or even in two months.

The best thing to do is if you are in an area with a fly fishing club or a casting club, is to join so you get lots of casting time with others, and can try lots of equipment and combinations in a short period of time without having to buy it.

Or you can do how most of us have done, and just fish - enjoying it most of the time and swearing the rest.

Cheers,
Jim